Chapter 3

I have no clue what to wear for this dance. I've never been in one of those booths or even near them for that matter so choosing the right costume comes down to two things: what I'm comfortable in, and what's still considered sexy. To be honest, I'm not comfortable with anything because I'm not feeling the idea of being in a small room within arm's length of a complete stranger. Of course he's a hot stranger and gives me a rush when in his presence but still a stranger nonetheless. The time was set for 11:30. I was due to dance in less than 10 minutes and the butterflies flapping away in my stomach seemed like they wanted out.

Dropping my head back I gazed at the water damaged ceiling and sighed, shaking my hands in an attempt to calm my nerves. Get it together Rayne! It's just a dance! The sooner you get dressed and go in, the sooner it will be over and you can go home! I told myself pulling in a deep breath. With my eyes closed I shoved my hand in my bag and yanked out the first thing I touched. This would be what I wear whether I'm content with it or not. When I opened my eyes I groaned seeing the black and yellow striped mini tube top dress with part of the sides cut out clenched within my fist. Maybe I should do it a second time...or a third...three times a charm! I found myself trying to back out of the silent vow I made with only six minutes to get ready. Damn! Six minutes!

Dropping the dress down on my station I pulled off my clothes, shoved the dress on over my head, and slipped on my black peep toe stilettos that lace up around my ankles. Only having a few minutes left, I applied just a little bit of mascara, eyeliner, and pink lipgloss with a little shimmer to it. Fluffing my hair quickly with one hand, I plucked a rose from the vase on my changing station and pinned it in my hair with a clip. I'm probably not the shiniest diamond right now but this will have to do. Shaking my hands I walked out the changing room, crossed through the main room, and found Dave waiting for me by the booths as promised. Along with him were two of tall, dark, and sexy's men who looked me up and down shamelessly. The way Dave looked at me wasn't missed either but being the bundle of nerves that I am right now, I can't focus on anything but what's about to happen.

Dave opened the heavy black door that was adjacent to Lou's office and led me down a very dark hall that was lit only by the bulbs in the floor on either side of the path. Music of all kinds was playing, jumbled together like a row of clubs situated too closely. As we came to a stop at the very end of the hall I noticed the door Dave was directing me to was different from all the others. It's a deep red and has a sign on it in a silver plaque that reads "Platinum Room". I don't know what it is about that but I feel like the butterflies I had before have magically morphed into vultures circling the pit of my stomach waiting for that moment that I stop breathing so they can feast on me from the inside out. Why did I agree to this again? Yeah...because I need the money...

Sighing loudly I nodded at Dave signaling I was ready to go. I expected the room to be set up like a bedroom for some reason but I'm happy to see that it's actually the opposite. A plush black leather chair sits in the middle of the room right in front of a tiny stage that has a pole in the center of it. The wall behind it is covered by ribbed fabric that's the same shade of red as the door and the carpet. There are even paintings on the walls and a huge potted plant in the back corner. Thankfully though, there is no tall, dark and sexy...yet. My arrival first gives me the chance to collect my bearings and get a handle on my nerves since I wasn't able to get a drink. I can just see myself trying to walk past him seductively and trip over my own feet. That would probably erase the image I instilled in his mind with my first two dances. As I made my way to the stage a bright light coming from something that looked like a small TV beside the chair caught my eye.

"Dave!" I shout whispered before he closed the door on me. "What's this box for?" I pointed to the stand that was bolted to the floor with the device on it.