Chapter 28

After I told Nicolas what I saw and the smell wafting through the place, he pulled me further down the stairs. When I told him my shower was running like someone was still in there, he turned around without word and was making his way back up. Grabbing hold of his arm was all I could do to stop him. I know he's strong, much stronger than me but I'd much rather him wait for the police before he goes venturing in there. I could tell he was reluctant to do so but he complied for me. With my hand in his, he lead me down the stairs where we stayed in the lobby waiting for the other Council members including my father and Adam to show up with police that are connected to the Council.

It took no time at all for them to show up and as soon as he was out the car Roger was making his way to me. He raised his hands to cup my cheeks, surveying me anxiously for signs that I was ok. He leaned into me and inhaled slowly with a look of confusion in his eyes that quickly faltered as he looked up at Nicolas with an accusing glare. He can smell him on me. I bit down on my lip shying away from my father's grasp. I'm a grown woman and I just met him but still the thought of him knowing what I had done with Nicolas embarrasses me. I felt Nicolas take a step closer to me so that his chest was against my back, not to ease my discomfort but to confirm things with my father and tell him he had no plans to back off away from me. In my mind I was screaming; begging for something...anything to save me from this situation.

Two offices walked over to us--thankfully--giving me a strange once over before one of them turned their attention to my Dad. "We have someone reviewing the security cameras and a small group around the back watching her window. We can go up."

I started walking toward the building only to be stopped by three hands belonging to Nicolas, Adam, and my father. I looked up and around at the three of them that were eyeing each other but in a strange way that I didn't feel like deciphering or scolding them for.

"You should probably just wait down here." Adam was the first to speak and remove his hand from my arm. Slowly but surely, my father and Nicolas followed suit but not after exchanging another look.

"Would you two put your dicks away and get this over with. My 21-year old Italian blood donor is waiting." Odessa irritatedly huffed, storming into the building. I could do without her word choice but I agree with her. A battle between my father and my...well I really don't know what he is right now but it's not needed. I made a move to follow behind her only to be stopped again.

"Rayne--"

"I'm going up with you. This is my place and that's my bed. Besides, I still need to get some things."

"Tell me what you need and I'll bring it out for you."

"I really appreciate it Adam but I am not staying out here while all of you go investigating my apartment. For one, I'm a little uneasy about being out here in the open as is and secondly, I don't think either of these two would be cool with you touching my panties so...shall we?" Passing a glance between Roger and Nicolas, I walked off again, successfully this time.

The police officers were in the front with Odessa and the two human Councilman behind me as we exited the elevator and walked down the hall. Nicolas and Roger were at my side by the time we walked into my place and Adam was right behind me. Since the door was still open, the smell seemed to be fanning out into the living room and foyer. With guns drawn, the cops walked a good five feet ahead of me. One of them moved toward the blood on the other side of my sofa, nodded his head to it in acknowledgement then moved toward my bedroom door.

I allowed a lot of distance between us as they went in with their flashlights now out, shining it on the walls in search of the switch. Once it was flipped I close the gaps between us, wanting to see if it really was a head on my bed. I couldn't see over the two big officers until one of them broke off to go in the bathroom and check the shower that was still running. By now I'm sure no one is in there but why the water is running is another story. With nothing in my way now I stepped forward to see my bed sheets drenched in blood that was dark in color and turning black extending across the entire mattress. The smell was nauseating but clearly not the source of the smell.