Chapter 25

I don't know when exactly I became comfortable with being closed in a room with a giant wolf but somehow I've ended up laying in the middle of the floor with my head resting on his back. I'm actually happy for the most part that he was in this state but worried at the same time. Happy because I know there isn't a chance he can talk to me about what he heard Adam say and me admit to indirectly. Worried because they said he was refusing to change back. I may not want to talk to him right now about my past but I would like to have a conversation where he can talk back...sometime in the near future.

His thick brown fur was warm to the touch, covering me like a thick blanket and he coiled himself around me. It's no wonder that my eyelids were growing heavy and eventually I lost the battle with my body's desire to sleep.

When I awakened, my sense of time was off. For a split second I didn't know where I was and why all of a sudden I was so cold. Moving only my head I looked around the room then down at my pillow that I think just moved. A hand came down and ran through my hair just as panic was beginning to set in. It was soothing, a pure act of comfort that reminded me so much of my mother's attempts to help me sleep as a little girl. That's when it finally came back to me. Where I was and why I was here.

Slowly I pushed my way up to find that the wolf was replaced by my father, clad in a pair of crisp dark slacks and white button down shirt. Wolves are naked when they change back, right? I'm sure as hell glad he decided to get dressed before I had the chance to see that and be scarred for life.

His hand continued through my thick curls even as I sat up beside him and faced him, "I figured you'd be more comfortable up here rather than on the floor. I hope you don't mind me moving you."

"I just hope you didn't pull something while picking me up." I laughed to myself.

"Are you calling me old?" I was granted a quirked brow with a slight smile. I really didn't intend for what I said to be taken that way but I'm glad he isn't offended.

"No, I was calling myself heavy."

Roger's smile remained but he shook his head as if he were saying 'no', "Your old man is a wolf remember? I'll be eighty-years old and still able to pick you up with one hand."

I cringed at the thought, still imaging him falling or pulling a muscle or something. "Please don't attempt that! You may have super strength but I do have weight to me. I'm not a kid anymore unfortunately." I giggled a little to mask my embarrassment. It hasn't actually happened but I see it playing in my head over and over like the skipping of a scratched CD.

I thought this was funny but Roger was no longer sharing in my amusement. His eyes were softer but saddened and his hand that was still in my hair has now moved down to my hand.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about it but need to know what happened." Instantly I moved my hand from beneath his and dropped our eye contact. He's right, I don't want to talk about it. "Rayne, please," he tried to recapture my hand but I wasn't going for, "I was friends with this man--partners here at this Council for years so I can't help but take this personally. I need you to tell me what happened so I can kill him slowly."

"Kill him?" That single word had the power to bring my eyes back up with his like he'd originally wanted. "You can't kill him! Does being on this Council give your special rights or something?"

"No, Baby but--"

"But what?! That's murder! And you sitting here telling me this makes it premeditated! They'll put you in jail then what?!" My calm demeanor had completely slipped at this pointed. I'm being selfish here and don't give a damn that I am.

"You don't have a wolf nor do you have children yet. You don't understand the rage that goes through us when someone harms our pups. It's killing me just sitting here when I could be out looking for him so I can making him watch me tear his balls off and then pull his head from his shoulders. He hurt you and and took Helena away from m--you." Each one of those words were spoken through clenched teeth. It wasn't hard to tell that he was doing exactly as he said--fighting his anger to be here with me.