Chapter 35

Waking slowly to a world of confusion in a dimly lit room, my mind is in overdrive trying to process what happened.

Was it real? The dead wolves in the kitchen surrounded by a pool of blood? My father lying there unresponsive? Dalton answering my cry? The last question draws shivers and bumps along my aching skin. Since my change, my senses, emotions, and seemingly my brain has been out of control, but something tells me that I didn't just imagine that; someone wrapping something cold but hot around my neck before I was thrust into darkness.

Instinctively, I try to move my hand to touch the back of my head that still throbs, only to realize I can't. Something is weighing them down. Trying to move my legs results the same. They feel heavy as if injected with lead, but spread apart with my ankles attached to something. The tiniest of movements sends a lightning-like pain rushing up both legs, pushing an involuntary groan through my lips.

"Shhh, Baby. it's ok. I've got you." My blood freezes hearing that voice again, but seeing his dark hair slowly rise from my chest nearly causes my heart to stop completely. Dark eyes followed along with the rest of the face that has haunted me for years. The only difference; new addition to the man I've always known as a monster is the thick beard that while cut close extends from one sideburn to the other. I couldn't stop the shakes; trembles of fear induced by the large hand that ultimately cupped my cheek forcing my eyes to close. "My God how you've changed. How is it possible for you to be even more beautiful than before?" The hand that clasped my cheek ran along my neck until it was nestled into the curls wildy strewn in my face, "Your hair, sweet brown skin, these lips,--" the palm of his hand was hanging over my cheek once more as his thumb brushed against them.

A single tear crept from the corner of my eye and slid between the connection of his hand and my face. I've prayed. Begged and prayed that this day would never come, yet here it is. Upon contact, the salty wet streak staining his hand, I heard Dalton sigh. Opening my eyes just as he pulled his hand away, I saw his tongue dart out and follow the path of my tear.

"So much has changed, but your tears still taste the same." There was pleasure in his tone. Obvious enjoyment. From there he continued to move all over my face converting the licks into kisses that were making my skin crawl. As his lips inched over my chin closer and closer to my lips, I shivered once more, showing not only my fear, but my growing hunger. That must have read differently for the older wolf for he stiffened visibly before slowly pulling back from me. "After all these years, you still deny me. All these years I've been without you and you're still trying to deny me!" his voice raised a few octaves, the fist balled up beside me on what I now know is a bed, gripping my hip tightly.

Everything within me told me not to say anything. I learned the hard way in the past that Dalton feeds off of my reactions. Like a lion stalking it's prey, he waited for my answers so he could pounce on them...pounce on me. I could see the fire beginning to burn within those dark iris resembling coal. My defiance was something new, something he had never experienced and clearly something he didn't like.

Without word or warning, Dalton grabbed hold of my face. Sandwiching my chin between his thumb and forefinger I had no choice but to look at the angry face drawing closer to mine.

"You really don't want to play with me, Rayne! It has been far too long since my wolf has been near you--since we've touched you and it's taking every bit of strength I have to hold him back right now.I'm already pissed off at the fact that you've grown close to other men including my son when I should be the only man in your life!" He repositioned himself on top of me, spreading my legs further apart with his knees pressing his erection into the junction between my thighs. "My wolf wants me to punish you for running. To make you pay for the nights he spent pacing around inside of me wondering where his mate was."