Chapter 15

At some point I inhaled; pulled in a huge breath and forgot how to blink. As the man stood I took an involuntary step back bumping into Lou. I felt his hand move to the center of my lower back. I looked up at him with pleading eyes, begging him to let me out of this room but instead he gave me a comforting smile that did me no good.

"Rayne, this is my brother Roger," I looked reluctantly to the impeccably dressed man that was now making his way toward me, trying to figure out why he looks like he isn't that much older than me. I can say that for a man in his fifties Lou himself does look good. When we first met I questioned his true date of birth and only believed it when he showed me his license. To my point, this man looks even younger like he could've possibly just taken that picture with my mother just a few short years ago. Maybe good genes run in the family? "and Roger, this is--"

"Rayne." He looked to Lou with a quick nod as he stopped in front of me. I heard the door open behind me but I was too mesmerized by the eyes staring intently into mine. They are almost the same shade but a little lighter. The shape of his eyes are also just like mine with lashes the same length hooding them. Not because I want this to be the case but I swear I can see a lot of myself in this man's features alone. The only real difference is my skin is darker, his strong bone structure, and the fact that my lips are fuller than his. Realizing that only puts more fear in me. Fear of the unknown and what's about to happen. "Forgive me for staring," he smiled kindly, "it's just that I've heard so much about you in the last few hours that it still just doesn't seem real. I'm told you have a picture?"

Wordlessly I pulled the photo from my jacket pocket, glanced down at it quickly then handed it over. Since taking it from Nan I've had a hard time parting with it. My intention was to get it copied and return this one to her but my world has seemingly been flipped and finding the time to do that really hasn't presented itself just yet. He took the picture from my hand and instantly a smile spread across his face. I watched him carefully as he trailed his thumb over my mother's face in the same manner a long lost lover would've.

"I remember this night so clearly. I loved Helena in that dress so much that I would steal glances every chance I got. She caught me a few times and when I told her why I couldn't keep my eyes off of her she thought I was just saying that to ensure I got a kiss at the end of the night. I did get that kiss but I meant every word." I caught myself smiling with him, suddenly a few steps closer looking down at the picture still pinched between his fingers. If I didn't know any better the tone of his voice would lead me to believe that he was still in love with my mother but if that were the case, why leave? As if he'd heard my thoughts he looked up at me, his smile fading, "I knew from the start I wasn't supposed to be with her but I couldn't resist. She worked her way into my heart and became the only thing in the world that I wanted. Letting go was hardest thing I've ever had to do."

"Then why did you?" I spoke just above a whisper meeting his somber gaze. I took note of how he looked over at Lou and the newcomer that I now know is Dave. They looked as if there were having some kind of conversation with their eyes while the room filled with a thick silence. When he finally gave me his attention he sighed motioning for me to sit down. I did it only because I wanted him to continue and feared if I didn't sit then I would be out of answers. I wasn't ready for this meeting but now that it's happening I need as much information as I can get. He followed me taking the seat next to me still holding on to the picture of him and my Mom, sighing again before speaking.

"Rayne I've known since my early teens what my purpose in life was. Once I graduated from high school I was to work for...an organization that would demand all of my time. College, a wife, kids, and a house on a hill was never supposed to be in the cards for me. I knew that all along and even told your mother that there wasn't much of a future for us but she said she just wanted us to enjoy the time we did have. Graduation day came and I had thoughts of abandoning my duties and running off with her but in the long run that would've been putting her life at risk. So I had to do what I had to do."