Chapter 20 so this is good-bye

• Dedicated to to Michael Phelps :)

"Wendy, sit still and DON'T MOVE."

I flinched as Holly applied my make up.

-COUGH! COUGH!- I started to choke on the powder. As I was gaking, Araceli laughed and patted my back.

"Be a little more graceful, Wendy," she laughed nonchalantly. "It's your wedding day."

Easy for HER to say. She looked flawless in her soft, flowy sky blue dress that billowed behind her like clouds.

Her golden face came close to mine and for a moment i thought she was gonna kiss me! But she produced something out of her purse and place it around my neck. Pearls.

They were cool against my neck.

"Thanks," I mumbled. "I'm gonna go see Ryan-"

Holly nearly yanked my arm outta my socket. "what the heck are you THINKING! It's bad luck to see him before the wedding! Haven't you seen the movies?!"

"No," I rolled my eyes.I let the girls work on me for another half and hour until there was a knock at the door.

"Can I come in?"

My heart leaped. "Michael!" I cried and ran out of my seat to hug him.

"HEY!" Holly stomped her foot. "I'm not done with your hair!"

Michael seemed just as eager too. He embraced me and held my elbows gently.

"You look beautiful," he said softly.

I blushed. But my gut twisted. I had a feeling he wasn't staying for the wedding by the way he played with his long fingers awkwardly.

"You... you're not staying........ are you?" I asked him softly.

He shook his head slowly. "I still love you."

"AHEM!" Holly cleared her throat loudly. "I still need to fix her-"

"-my apologies, Michael, we were just leaving....." Araceli cut in.

I mouthed my thanks to them. When they were finally out of sight, I grabbed Michael's hands.

"I understand... if you don't wanna stay. It must be painful."

"Oh... it really is. But trust me it's all good."

"There.... there are many other fish in the sea," I said nervously.

"There aren't any other Wendy-fishes out there, believe me," he winked.

I nestled into his chest and I began to cry.

"hey," he laughed. "Don't cry! It's your wedding! Be happy!" There was a strain in his voice.

"How can I? When I love you too..."

"Oh Wendy....." he chuckled. "Don't do this to Ryan. He's a good man. A cocky gay prick... but nevertheless a great man. I helped him get ready today and all he could think about was you. He really does love you. And you should love him too."

"But what about you?"

"What about me?" Michael shrugged. "I really don't know. But I DO know this. I'll NEVER stop loving you, Wendy Hamilton."

I croaked and the tears seeped out.

"Please tell me this isn't the last time I'll ever see you," I cried softly.

He brushed his fingers against my cheek, the same way Holly's blush brushed through just earlier when she was trying to apply foundation.

Michael didn't say anything. I let the tears fall and he caught them. He smiled his coy smile and kissed my forehead softly.

"Take good care of him, Wendy. He'll be great when he's older, you just watch."

And then he walked away. This was probably it.

And he turned back around one last time and blew one last kiss and waved a permanent wave that still sent chills to my heart that he took with him.