Chapter 2 It was a long night

I got used to life without Ryan. I didn't have any distractions.

Aww who the heck am I kidding?! I'm a WRECK without him!

Leaning against my kitchen wall, I sobbed and sank to the floor. I grabbed the phone and called the one guy who would understand me. The one guy who wouldn't judge or say anything against me.

"Hello? Wendy?"
"Michael," I cried.
"Wendy! What's wrong?!" his concerned voice sounded through the other line.
"Michael," I choked on my tears. "I need you. Please..."
"I'll be right there."

I hung up and got off the floor. Not wanting to look like a piece of horse shit when Michael got here, I wiped my face and tried to cover my puffy red eyes with light make-up.

Then I put on that seductive red dress Holly and Louis (yeah, the same One Direction Louis) got me when I was in London. I really needed someone right now :'P.

Phelps was at my door in an hour. He was at New York for a press conference, so he didn't have to drive, like, a thousand miles or anything.

"How was the drive?" I asked, smiling and letting him in.
"Oh," he cleared his throat, "I.. uh, I walked."
Okay, so he WALKED like 30 miles to my penthouse. Only 30 miles right? 

"Oh." I was embarrassed. He sensed it, and he put his arm around me.
"What's wrong? You were crying..."
I embraced him and I told him all about it. He just nodded solemnly and then held my hand tightly.
"That Lochte's a bastard," he muttered.
"It's not his fault," I said. "It's all mine."
Michael held me and then kissed my forehead. "I have a treat for you."
He closed my eyes and led me outside the door. Soon, he was walking me down the stairs to the lobby since the elevator wasn't working, THANK YOU VERY MUCH -____-.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked as he lead me on, my eyes still closed under his fingers.
"Some place nice," he whispered in my ear.
"We're gonna trip down these stairs," I said. And we did. I landed right on top of Michael, who laughed it off and helped me up.
"Few more to go..."

He led me down the street(which scared the living heck out of me because the busy streets of New York are filled with intimidating BEEEEPS from impatient drivers willing to run you over!) and when we got to the curb SAFELY, he opened up my eyes.

"Tada!" he whispered. I looked around. It was that bar across my penthouse. I passed by it every morning, but it never occured to me that I'd ever buy a drink there.
"Wow," I snickered. "A bar.
"Saw it on my way here," Michael chuckled. "Shall we?"

He led me inside, and it suddenly felt cozy. Even my heart seemed a little warm. We sat on the bar stools and Michael called the bartender.
"Absolute and lime for me, martini please... and-"
He looked at me inquiringly.
"Shirley Temple," I muttered.
"And a Shirley Temple for the lovely lady." He winked at me as I looked at him.
"You are quite a charm," I said smiling.

After our drinks, I didn't really remember much. We might've even had sex. But as I said before, I don't remember. All I recalled from last night was being in the arms of an angel as he fixed my broken heart and healed my wounds of aching.

I woke up in my penthouse the next morning, light seeping into the room. I lay on the couch and Phelps was already awake, just watching TV.
"You're up," he said smiling. "Good morning."
I smiled. Then I scowled at him.
"What are you doing here?" I demanded. "Get out! If Ryan sees you here-"
Then the dark reality set in. Ryan wasn't here anymore. Michael saw the shady in my eyes and he held me close.
"Wendy, you invited me here. Do you... do you remember what happened last night?"
My brow furrowed in confusion.
"What happened last night?"

After asking that question, Michael looked stunned. Even defeated.
"You... don't remember....."
"Tell me," I said. "What happened? Did we get Chinese take-out?"

Michael looked betrayed. Then he nodded and got up.
"I should be going. I have another conference."
He walked over to me and stopped, as if unsure whether he wanted to hug me or kiss my forehead or something. And then he shook it off and just hugged me quickly, all elbows to create distance, and then he walked away and out of my penthouse.