Chapter Seventeen.

Chapter Seventeen:
"Coping"

[PAST]

The autumn sun was high in the sky, as it revealed to have only been noon of the following day. A day of hustling people trying to fixup buildings and sheds, trying to prepare themselves for a harsh winter that's fast approaching, trying to give one another the moral support that the group that had left will return safely.

Unfortunately for the former school residents and teachers, that wasn't the case when the faint sounds of someone yelling at those on the wall by the gate could be heard.

"OPEN THE FUCKIN' GATE-"

Many individuals jumped at the sudden disturbance of sound in their afternoon peace. Eyes eventually widened at the voice, as few began to identify the voice of Skyler, who currently was yelling a string of profanities to the lookouts. Some began to rush to the gate, knowing that the typically loner, silent male would not be screaming if everything was fine.

Things were far from being fine.

When the gate cracked open, a blood covered, heaving Skyler scrambled through the open crack before sprinting off to the main building. Though, that wasn't what had startled people, it was what was in his arms as he ran in. The pale, lifeless body of Aasim, who's covered in blood was get everyone moving.

Marlon, Violet, Minnie, Brody, and some of the other well known students of the former school began to gather at the front. Now awaiying for the other members of the scouting group to return, eventually, those who had survived did return. Sighs of relief could be heard and smiles of joy could be seen, only for the happy moment to be broken once those ine the courtyard caught the somber expression of those trecking through the gates.

"Where's Ezekiel... a-and Talia?..."

A soft voice spoke up in questioning manner as they all scanned each person before them. Only to have some cringe and recoil physically away from the painful though, few wimpers to also be heard at the burned memory of their friends' deaths.

Luckily, their reaction got the point across as an atmosphere of gloom overtook the others, save the angry screams of Kyra and Rory for the loss of their brother and girlfriend. Everyone entered a moment of grief, before the silence was broken as the group dispersed, those injured headed up to the infirmary while others headed to their rooms after locking the front gate up.

(Y/n) still clinging to Louis' side as they made way, careful of the sprained ankle of the female and the other minor cuts and scrapes that littered both of their frames. The two silent as they walks down the familiar halls of thier new home since the apocalypse started.

The stinging pain due to the losses and injuries that took place on the trip was enough. Though, during the harsh journey to return to the school, the two young best friends knew they had one another's backs to get through the emotional pain.

Days, possibly even a week, had passed since the scouting group had returned.

Aasim was the most fatal of all the survivors and was given first priority upon arrival back to the school. Luckyily in his case, the bullet had an exit wound rather than being trapped within his body, sparing him from the pain of a full blown surgery of removing the shell of the bullet. The school nurse, Ms. Martin, was able to clean and check the location of the wound, revealing that it had missed every vital organ before she proceeded to sew and patch it up. After the third day of being treated, Aasim had woken up, only to spend the rest of the week resting and coping with the lack of medical resources during his healing process.

When things began to settle down and those who returned were out of the danger zone in health, the funeral for the fallen was finally being put together.

Rory, Talia's boyfriend, was in pure denial that she was one of the few unfortunate ones who never returned from the supply run. Barely speaking to anyone besides lashing out at those who would attempt to approach him or if he saw anyone doing a task wrong around the school.

Unfortunately, Rory wasn't the only one who took the news badly. Kyra, the sister of Ezekiel, had also resorted to silence while avoiding any form of interactions with the kids who had survived the sudden ambush in the small town. Instead, she defaulted into her own form of shutting down and ignoring the world around her.

Meanwhile, everyone else grieved in their own way, the gloom was visible, but that didn't stop the higher ratio of them to get work done around the property in preparation of the incoming winter.

Following the higher ratio, once her ankle had healed enough that she no longer needed to use the crutches that she was given, (Y/n) was helping out with smaller chores, such as heading over to the greenhouse to keep an eye over the crops they had planted and helping the adults and some of her friends with cooking the meals.

The young female soon came to noticed that the nights were the hardest, as she could hear the sobs from Kyra in the room next to hers, her own guilt swirlling deep within her mind. The old survivors guilt had not only kept her awake, but many of those who had returned.

Her tired eyes were heavy, every inch of her body ached as she layed spread out on her bottom bunk, yet, sleep wouldn't come easy. She turned to lay on her side, gazing at the dim rays of the moon light the shined through her boarded up blinds.

She knew, with the nagging in the back of her mind and the pulsing of her weeping heart, she knew that this was only the beginning of something bigger. Unable to analyze the thought any further as her heavy eyes closed, darkness overcame her as she finally fell asleep.

------
Hey guyss!
Holy crap, you guys, I can't believe it has been just over a year since I started this story. Whereas I haven't gotten as far as I had hoped by this point, I have enjoyed every moment writing it and seeing the comments you guys have to share. It has been a thrilling experience to have, so thank you all for those who stuck by me for so long and for those who recently started reading my story!! Love you all!! <33

-------------
I say this in every chapter, I am not giving up on this story. I love it to much to do so.

Unfortantly my job has been more complex than I thought, but I did manage some writing, such as with this chapter.

Hoping to continue with writing a few more this summer, as I do have Ideas for future chapters, though there's no promises.

-------------------
word count of 1092.

-(c) (Y/N) belongs to you.

-(c) Characters, songs and game belong to rightful owners/creators.

-(c) I do not own anything except for this plot line and story for this fanfiction. The game itself and plot line belongs to the amazing original creators, Telltale.

-Published on August 25th, 2019.