✂Handy Man✂ ►L "Lawliet"◄

Pushing the doors open of her office, [Name] grumbled in annoyance. It was the third time this week she got stuck in the elevator due to technical difficulties, and the third time she got scolded by her boss. It wasn't even her fault, yet the bald man with the cheeky mustache, known as the boss, lectures her anyway without asking for an excuse!

“You missed the meeting,” said her intern as she walked in a few seconds after and sets down the usual cup of green tea at her desk. Sinking back into her chair, [Name] sighed, mumbling a ‘thank you’ before waving her hand away to discretely kick out her intern.

“I wonder if Starbucks is hiring?” she mused out loud as she read the papers in her hands. Frankly, her job in an office had squeezed the excitement out of her; nothing worthy of waking her up in the morning was sparking up her life so far. Most of her co-workers were women, and the men were either married or just plain butt holes. The schedule sucked, the holidays were far away to get days off and her sick days were already used up. She was practically chained down— especially with no other jobs available…

The huffing female glanced at her computer and used a lazy hand to move the mouse for the screen to light up, and caused her to shift in her chair when an email notification popped at the corner of her screen. “Oh please let it be…!”

Reading the email under her breath, [Name] punched the air in glee.

Finally someone had responded to her complaint about the broken elevator and announced that someone would be in the next day to fix the cursed machine. Smiling, [Name] took a sip of her tea. Surely and sadly, it was the highlight of her day and for tomorrow.

The next day, she walked into her work humming happily. The elevator had finally cooperated—and even stopped making screeching sounds! This man must be good, she thought, if she’d gotten the chance to meet, then certainly she would thank him personally.

“Have you seen him?” the intern elbowed [Name] cheekily as they walked down the path of the building and into the office.

“Who?”

And just as they walked into the room, [Name] is the only one to stop walking and stares in front of her. A man with a sucker in his mouth fixed God-knows-what on the wall, near the ceiling, made her lips curve in interest. He looked over his shoulder when the boss called his name.

 Lawliet? She raised a curious brow and turned to her intern. “The handy man?”

The college student nodded once. “Ain’t he cute~?”

Ignoring her girly giggles, [Name] looked forward again, only to meet his gaze when he, too, glanced her way, wiping his forehead with his arm. She blushed slightly and he smiled kindly before returning to his work. Oh, that smile…

“I don’t know what he’s fixing,” she began, gripping the tea mug tighter. “But mine just broke.”

***

 “So, um, what’s the problem here again?” Lawliet asked as his eyes searched the office while the smiling woman in front of him hummed, tapping her fingers against the wood of her desk.

“Nothing. I just wanted to meet you and personally thank you for fixing that elevator.” Her response earned a click of his tongue.  

“You’re the one who sent those nonstop emails?”

“I am,” she sighed, pushing away from her desk. “Sorry if I was persistent, but that elevator was beginning to ruin my life.”

“I thought it was you when I saw you earlier,” Lawliet said, twirling the sucker in his mouth, to which [Name] furrowed her brows at. “Sorry what?”

“There’s a picture on your email profile.” He shrugged and pulled out the stick from his lips. “That was my email address you kept spamming.”

“Oh, I-I didn’t realize…”

“Also, I heard your remark earlier,” Lawliet added, aiming the sucker stick into the trash can.

She blinked, taken aback, and laughed nervously with a hand rubbing the back of her neck. “Aha, you heard that?”

“I take it you’re interested in me?” [Name] winced in her chair at his remark and stood up, pressing her hands down at her desk. “What kind of handy man are you, Lawliet?”

He stared back momentarily before turning on his heels towards the door. “Keep the email, and you’ll find out,” said he with another small smile when he looked over his shoulder. Speechless, [Name] stared in annoyance and watched him click her office door shut before falling back into her chair.

She spun around in her chair in a pout until a small laugh left her lips. "Pfft! Finally something interesting happens here."