Chapter Twenty - Omega

Chapter Twenty – Omega

"My dad told me a lot about Omega's," I started an hour into the silent journey. "But... I don't know how much of what he said was true. He told me that Omega's were brutal;" I paused between each word on the long list of words my father called Omegas, "violent; sadistic; and deadly. I know Omega's are deadly. Especially my mate. Hell, he makes other Omega's submit to him. But what I don't quite know is the truth about... the rest."

Azriel took her eyes off the road for one second to glance at me due to my sudden outburst. She sighed, a sigh of annoyance; knowing; and I wasn't one hundred percent sure, but it sounded like understanding. "Your father was right. And wrong." she moved to settle further into the seat. "How do I explain...

"You need a pack, so you work to protect them, correct? You love them because you need them. Omega's don't need pack. We don't need to protect or care about anyone else but ourselves. So, sure, we come across as 'antisocial', 'sadistic', 'violent' wolves, but like I said, where you have pack, we have no one. We have no bonds. But by chance, we sometimes find our mates."

"It must be horrible to have no bonds..."

She sent me another look. "You have no idea. Wolves are pack animals, yet Omega's are cursed to have no one."

I looked away from her to look outside. Trees sped past. Cars occassionally past. And I noticed from the signs that we were heading towards London, but South. "I guess that explains why you're all so much more serious about the mating bond," I said, remembering the conversation with Tyler, a conversation that seemed like years ago instead of a week or more ago.

Azriel laughed, but their was no amusement. "You have no idea. The mate bond is the only bond we can ever have with another. The only connection to another. The only one we will ever truly and honestly care about. And in return, all we want is the same loyalty. That's not too much to ask, is it? It's all anybody wants. Wolf. Human. Anyone, even animals to an extent."

Loyalty. Where wolves had loyalty to pack, Omega's didn't, instead, they gave all their loyalty to their mate because they had no where else to give it.

"What about Darius?" I asked after a moment of silence as Azriel stretched to look at the backseat through the middle mirror where her mate still lay unconscious.

"What about him?" Azriel asked, attention back on the road.

"I know he's different, Azriel. I'm not that blind. Even Godric said that Darius is more than he seems."

"Godric should learn to keep his mouth shut," she snapped. "You should ask your mate," she exhaled. "But your right. Darius is different, and very few know it," the last was said as a threat.

"Different how?"

"What Omega would let your mother live after she helped you escape? What Omega would let you leave their side to return to your pack, that is at war no less? Especially while you're only marked and not mated. Which reminds me, he's going to want to mate you when we get you back to him."

"Thanks... I think. But that still doesn't answer my question, Darius is different how?"

"Let's just say that he's the opposite to you. You're wolf, he's Omega..."

"But so are you," I growled, frustrated. Why wasn't anyone giving straight answers? "Yet you don't have the same... power to you."

She shook her head. "So damn stubborn. When Darius wants you to know his secret, he'll let you know. Until then, drop it."

So I did, for now. It would only be fair. Sort of. I guess. So I changed the topic. "Why did you knock your mate out?"

Azriel grinned. "Because he's the son of the Beta of Kalb Flow."

Vote? Comment? Thanks!