Chapter Eighteen - Goodbye

Chapter Eighteen – Goodbye

Saying goodbye was hard since it really was goodbye this time. Last time, I hadn't said anything, I'd just ran, or, left as quick as possible to go see my mother. Another thing unlike last time, was that I was heading for my Omega mate instead of away. Who would have thought it.

Looking at the clock on the dashboard showed that we'd been travelling for an hour now. And since we were taking backroads for a reason Godric wouldn't explain, it was going to take twice, even thrice the time it would have taken if we'd gone on the motorways. My wolf whinned knowing that we weren't running, instead, we were stuck in this tight minibus with ten other passengers for a lot longer than was needed. To be fair, the minibus was fine, and so were the passengers, but the length of time? Way too long–

A scream rent the air. Agony. Painful agony. I whipped my head in reflex to the noise, only to look out the front window and to see green and brown. It didn't compute that we were about to be wrapped around a tree until after the impact. After the front slammed into the tree, shattering the metal, crushing the engine into the front seats making another scream echo loudly in the small space before both cut short as the sound of flesh hitting plastic of the cars' interior sounded too loudly considering everything else.

The engine still tried to run. The whimphers from the other wolves sounded mixed with yelps. The growl from Godric sounded like thunder. The crunch of the bark of the tree. The cracking of the windows. The slush of liquid feet away. The sound of movement in the forest. It all rushed through my senses as the impact hit and seconds after.

The movement of my own body only came to me afterwards. It happening so fast that I couldn't even brace myself. Lifting my hand to my head, I saw blood, only a trickle, but being wolf, it was enough to let me know that I would have a serious injury and a damn headache, if not more, if I'd been human.

I shook my head to clear the ringing in my ears, but when that didn't work, I looked around and scented the air. But scenting the air made me want to throw up. Burning flesh. The minibus stank of burning flesh. All the wolves that weren't in the front seat only seemed as injured as I was. Standing and bending, I had to steady myself as my body shook in shock.

Moving towards the front seats, I looked over the front seats and–

I turned away. Taking a deep breath that made me want to puke, I turned back and looked at the two wolves in the front seats as my eyes burned, filling with tears. The front passenger wolf's legs were crushed by the engine. His head was smashed up against the dashboard. But he was still breathing. The driver...

The driver was a mess. Liquid silver. It had been thrown through the front driver window as we'd been going along. The driver was so messed up he looked like he'd been placed in a bath of boiling water, burnt in a fire, and ran over by an Arctic lorry. Twice.

Nudged over harshly, I growled as Godric reached over the passenger seat, yanking the front passenger back and snapping the wolf's neck.

No! Lashing out with my magic did nothing.

Godric growled, and it was only then that I was reminded of the white gold bracelet he was wearing. "I wouldn't do that again if I were you."

"You killed him!" I hissed back, anger in every syllable.

"Would you rather him wake up in agony with the knowledge that it could take weeks to walk again, or that he may never walk again?"

"No, but–"

"Besides," Goric turned away. "He would only slow us down."

And I thought you did it just to be nice, I snarked mentally, sending him a glare. Turning back to the remaining three males, three females, and Raziela, I saw that they were staring at us, waiting on orders on how to proceed. "I can't scent any gasoline yet, we're safe for the moment, but we need to get out," I told them. "Look out, see if you can see our attackers."

The moment the command was uttered, they moved to do as I said. Godric moved closer to Raziela, pulling her away from the window to cover her with his body. A second later, the wolf looking out the back was ducking. Just in time for a brick to smash through the window and jump across the floor of the minibus. Picking up the brick, I couldn't find a reason for the brick to come soaring through the window. Until I looked up.

Two guns were pointing through the back window that spread from one side of the minibus to the other. One shot at Godric, the next punctured my upper chest, near my right collarbone, a stabbing pain followed by a cold injection of green liquid mixed with silver made me stumble into the seats behind me.

Lifting my head took more effort than to should have. But when I did, it was to see the the last of my pack being shot with the final dart. As my body got heavier, like someone had filled me up with bags of sugar, my eyes refuse to open then as I heard the back door being opened, and finally, their was a growl of an Omega. Then, darkness.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!