Chapter Sixteen - Renounce

Chapter Sixteen – Renounce

"I, Alpha Daniel Spear, renounce my title as Alpha of the Northampton Pack. I pass title to my Beta, James McDonald. May he watch over you, protect you, and make this pack better and stronger. May he be now known as Alpha James McDonald."

I stood proudly as I watched my brother pass on his title. James looked surprised, but took it in a stride, and even named my brother Beta. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if my brother was soon challenged. Once the cheers died down, I could see straight away that my brother was happier without the title, more relaxed, his shoudlers less tense.

Turning to look around the room, I saw one wolf, a submissive wolf, staring in my direction. But her gaze wasn't on me, but Godric. Looking at Godric who was standing to my left, I saw that his form was tenser than before. Looking back at the submissive, I realised that the wolf was Raziela, a half-wolf half-human who had been abandoned as a child by her father on our doorstep. Our theory for the girl was that the father had got the mother pregnant, and the moment the mother had given birth, the father had taken Raziela and ran, bringing her here. The pack had become an overall mother and father figure for the half-wolf.

Turning back to the main stage, I could see Daniel talking quietly to James, and on finishing their conversation, James turned to the pack. "Zarah has been through a lot since leaving us over a week ago. And she has a question for you, and I know you have some for her. Zarah?"

Making my way through the crowd, Daniel and James got off the table as I climbed on. Looking over the crowd I saw curious, scared and thankful faces staring up at me. "As we saw earlier, my magic has... changed. And before you ask, no, I don't know. I have no idea and my mother refuses to tell me what I am. I'm also now marked by the Omega that killed our previous Alpha. But–" I held my hands up to stop the yelling that I could see was about to begin by their furious faces. "Before you start yelling, there is something you all have to know..."

I told them the truth about my father, about Kalb Flow, what my Omega mate was doing. I watched as their faces went from raging; sadness; disbelief; anger; and pain. "So now I only have one question. Will you stay here or come to the Omega's Den? Their is no punishment in staying. I just wanted to give you the option."

Eight hands went up. All dominate wolves. Five males, three females. I nodded. "Just remember that the war may spread. Whether you want to or not, even if you stay here, you may eventually be dragged into it. And if Kalb Flow succeed... humans might be made aware of us." And it won't be only supernaturals we have to worry about, but Hunters.

Worry and fear. It was all I could see. But, as bad as it sounded, I wanted them scared. I wanted them to know the truth, I wanted them to be prepared, because while I was now more apart of Darius' Omega Pack due to the bond, this Pack would always be apart of me.

I blinked as my thoughts suddenly hit me. I was now more apart of Darius' Omega Pack. I never thought that I would think that. And to make it even stranger, my wolf hadn't pushed me to think it. Instead, she sighed, in slight relief that I was starting to see and accept the truth around me instead of fighting it every step of the way. But then it also hit me. Had Darius, when he'd said someone else was chasing me, meant Kalb Flow?

"While you're saving your pack, why don't you clear your eyes and see who is the lesser evil."

Looking over my pack, I knew that out of my mate and Kalb Flow, Darius was the lesser evil. I felt stupid for not understanding before. But now I did, and even if Godric wasn't with me, I knew I'd be returning. And it wasn't even because of my wolf. But because I wanted to? I wanted to return to his side. Even with everything, I still wanted to return. But why? Why did I?

He'd killed my father. Threathened my mother. Saved me. Claimed me publicly. Locked me in his room. Blackmailed me. Forced me to mark him. But then he'd also promised to not force me into mating him. But could you trust an Omega to keep their promise? And that kiss... harsh, light, dark, rough, with a touch of something I didn't understand. He'd done more bad than good, yet I was willing to return, trusting him. Who ever thought that it would be me to trust an Omega?

Shaking my head, I looked over my pack at at the ones who had raised their hands. "We will leave at seven tomorrow morning. You might want to pack tonight."

The eight stood, bowed their heads to James who nodded back, before exiting the room to collect their things together. Then everyone paused as Raziela, the packs baby, stood and went to follow. No one moved in shock that Raziela would willingly walk into a battlefield. Even during the fight yesterday, Raziela had been one to stay inside and only rush out if one was seriously injured, even then she didn't come out because the pack would have had a fit.

A growl vibrated around the room – Godric's growl. It was the first time since arriving – that I knew of – that Godric had purposefully made his presence known, not that you could miss him. It was also strange that instead of whimphering at the growl like some, I was completely uneffected. His growl had nothing on Darius. It was like a puppy nipping at your heels. Yet the wolves around me backed away from the Omega, before stopping. They wanted to flee, yet this was their pack baby the Omega was growling at.

I stayed on the table, watching the scene unfold. Godric moved as Raziela kept moving forward – which surprised me the most – although slower. Moving to block the doorway, Godric glared down at Raziela, daring her. But Raziela did what not even a dominant wolf would do, she met his eyes and spoke clearly.

"Pack law says that the female joins the pack of their mate."

Shocked gasps were heard throughout the room at what she implied. All I could feel was my mouth dropping and eyes widening. Raziela, the packs baby, was Godric's mate? Oh damn.

"Then as your mate," mate was said as though it was nothing more than dirt. Yet Raziela didn't flinch. Tough little submissive wolf. It was the toughest I'd ever seen her. "I say you stay."

Then Raziela did something that made me realise that she was stronger than I'd thought. She didn't say anything. She just stared up at him. Silently disagreeing while saying absolutely nothing. She stood with a patience that I couldn't even begin to understand. Looking at Godric, I could see a war in his eyes between man and wolf. The man wanting his mate safe, the wolf demanding he mark and mate. But then, as though the man given into but a hint of desire, Godric moved with fast, yet presice movements.

Scooping Raziela into his arms, so that her arms were just over his shoulder, Godric stood up right and without looking at anyone, left the room with a growl that made the remaining wolves shuffle. I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a couple of wolves look at each other then at the door before starting forward.

"Don't," I said to them, they stopped to look at me. I shook my head. "If Raziela is his mate... she's safer with him, and if you try and stop him... well, the results won't be pretty for you. Any of you. It's best to leave them for now. Trust me."

That was another thing I thought I'd never do. Stand up for an Omega. But since Godric hadn't harmed me while I slept, I could repay the favor by giving him time with his mate. I just hoped that Raziela knew what she was doing with her trust, submissive wolf or not.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!