The Final Moments

It had been far too long, and that is inexcusable. But, the chapters are getting sadder and harder to write. I promise though, updates will be coming soon! Leave votes, comment, and save, but most of all, please enjoy! Love you all!

-----------------------------------

I would be wrong if I said I wasn't jealous of Cedric. Here I was, overcome with anticipation as we approached the Headmaster's office, to only see what seemed to be Cedric's father. He stood a little over 6 feet, with mousy brown hair and small glasses. But his face, his eyes, were so familiar. He appeared to be exactly what I imagined Cedric to be like in 30 years.

At first it made me smile, seeing someone I love so dearly so excited. Or to witness the reunion hug they shared, and his grateful "What are you doing here Dad?"

But, witnessing every other Champion's reunions, I realized I felt envy at their joy. I would never have a parent that would be excited to see me. Especially not one that would go to my school to surprise me, even if there was a possibility of death. I could just picture, my Dad's sneer at the thought.

"It gets better, trust me." A voice said from the right of me, snapping me out of my thoughts and towards the speaker.

"Professor Dumbledore." I acknowledged, growing nervous at the sight of his presence.

He gave me a small smile, and continued speaking. "You might never be able to have that loving embrace of a parent, but you can always provide it to others."

It took me a minute, but finally I beamed at his words. I could be that for my children. "And besides," he continued, "you're not the only one." He pointed a finger at a scene I hadn't seen before, Harry Potter embracing a red-headed woman and a young man with obviously no relation. His friend, Ron's, Mom and older brother most likely. Even though I could tell that he was an honorary member of the ginger family, it wasn't the same. We met eyes for a minute, and he gave me a look of confusion before I turned away. And just in time too, because it seemed that my presence caught the eye of Cedric Sr.

"And who is this lovely young woman?" He asked his son, and I blushed. But the older man's smile faded as his eyes caught wind of my baby bump. His eyes became wide and his mouth a little bigger, he was shocked.

"Dad," Cedric said when the man gave him a concerned look, "remember, I told you they weren't mine, I am dating Cho." He paused to take a breath before continuing. "This is my best friend, Evelyn Owen."

"Ahh," as realization and relief shone on his face, "this is infamous Evelyn Owen. I have heard so much about you."

"Likewise Mr Diggory." I responded with a kind smile, holding out my hand so he could shake it.

"Nonsense, Evelyn. Bring it in." He quickly pulled me into a hug. I didn't know what to do. "I am just so glad that you met my son, it has truly turned his year around." Mr Diggory continued as he finally let me go. His words causing Cedric to turn bright red.

"Dad, stop it." Cedric said bashfully.

"You know I can't do that son, it's a Dad's job to brag on his offspring. And besides, I have so much to be proud of. Hogwarts' own Triwizard Champion." He paused for a minute before directing a snide comment at Harry only a couple feet away, "Hogwarts' true champion."

"Don't say that, Dad!" Cedric urgently whispered, observing Harry's hurt look as he internalized what the older man had said.

"Why can't I? I mean it's true, isn't it?" Mr Diggory exclaimed once more, anger radiating off of him. Quite frankly, it made the rest of us quite uncomfortable. "I just want to praise my child, you, son."

At this point, the eyes of the room were glued to him and Harry, going back and forth between the two to witness their reactions. "Dad." Cedric pleaded, taking his hand. "Let's go have some food."

The pair began to slowly walk out of the room, holding hands, Cedric motioning for me to follow. I grabbed his other hand and walked with the duo down to the Greathall. Each of us savoring in our physical contact with the boy.

————————————

The meal affair was quiet and solemn. We ate in silence, Cedric next to his Dad, and me next to Cho.

But it all went so fast, as the three of us quickly found ourselves walking down to the Quidditch Pitch. And just the sight of it's giant hoops brought tears to my eyes and down my face.

"Evelyn." Cedric said softly, concerned, as he let go of his Dad's hand. Putting one against the side of my face and the other squeezed my hand. He turned fully towards me, stopping the group in our tracks. "Shhh." He whispered, wiping the tears off my face.

"I just am so scared." I mumbled through my tears, "What if you never come back?"

"You know that won't happen. I will be waiting for you at the end of the task, with a whole bunch of money, ready to meet your little angels."

"Godchildren." I quickly interjected before pausing for a minute, "Be their Godfather."

He immediately started beaming, eyes watering. "It would be my honor!"

"Really?" I asked hesitantly.

"Of course!" He exclaimed even louder, picking me up and spinning me around. "I love them, whoever they are. And, god Evelyn, I love you."

"I love you to Cedric." I replied, pulling him in for a tight hug.

"And," Cedric continued as he began to pull away, "I love you Cho, and Dad, you know I love you."

"Love you too honey." Cho said with a smile as she pecked Cedric on the lips.

"Love you son." Mr Diggory said as he embraced his son, once he detached from Cho.

"Now, enough with the emotion guys. I got to go win this thing!" Cedric practically screamed, sending a series of cheers throughout the group. He was right though, he has to win this freaking Tournament.