The Detention

I was in the hospital for a total of two and a half weeks. One week for injuries and one and half weeks for mental evaluation. During that week I mostly sat around, read, and caught up on homework. Professor Moody was giving his seventh year classes a lot of work, and it kept me busy for those weeks I was there. Sometimes some of my teachers would stop by my bed in the hospital wing to give me a mini lecture and walk through some homework problems with me. Other times they would send a student to drop off my work.

In the days I was there I had yet to see Snape again, he seemed to be avoiding me and any farther discussion of my detention. Instead he'd send Cedric Diggory, without fail, to give me my work. Cedric seemed pretty friendly, I had never talked to him before despite being in his year and in many classes together, but we seemed to get along pretty well in the frequent visits to the hospital wing. But every time he came in my heart sunk, I longed to talk to Snape again about my detention and what he knew. It wasn't until my last couple hours in the hospital wing that I got my wish.

——————————————————-

I was packing up my last couple personal belongings that were sitting beside my hospital wing bed before I left, when I heard a woosh sound coming from the entrance. I turned to see the Potions Professor billowing into the hospital wing and in my direction. I gulped, I had been waiting to hear from him about my detention for weeks, and now that he was finally in here I didn't know what to say.

As he approached me I quickly tried to use my last bit of courage to make myself look relaxed and at ease. But, all of that was gone by the time he was standing in front of me.

"Miss Owen." He addressed in his deep voice.

"Professor." I addressed back with a lot more shakiness in my voice than I remember.

"I have come here to address your detention Miss Owen." He said with annoyance in his voice.

"What about it?" I said while trying to absentmindedly pack.

"Your first detention is tonight, and you will have one every day until November, is that clear?"

"That's more than a mon-" I began, but he cut me off.

"What was that? Are you arguing with a teacher?" He exclaimed.

"No Sir." I replied, mentally cursing him in my head for being an ass and assigning me so many days.

"Good." He said, and it was at that moment that I started to open my mouth to let out my thoughts and questions I had been saving up when he cut me off. "I assume you have questions, yes?" I nodded, now possibly even more baffled than our last encounter. "Save them for detention." Was all he said before hastily walking out of the hospital wing, and leaving me alone and speechless.

——————————————————-

About an hour later I was finally released, and let me tell you, nothing felt better than walking out of the wing you've been stuck in for almost three weeks. The first thing I did was make my way up to my common room. I mumbled the password Mcgonagall had told me earlier, and then I made my way into the the Gryffindor common room.

Something about the common room made you feel at home. It must be the sounds of yelling, quit scratching, and talking. Or maybe the smell of the fire and the Weasley twin's concoctions. But something about it gave me a warm happy feeling that I hadn't felt in so long.

I made my way farther in the common room, and that was when I saw the poster, the Triwizard Tournament poster. My breath caught and I knew that was the news Dumbledore had told me about. So many questions flooded my mind as I stood there, how could they let students still do this?

A couple minutes later I heard a voice from behind me.

"Are you going to enter the Tournament?" A soft, feminine voice said. I spun around, trunk still in hand, and I saw Hermione Granger standing there. "Hi, I'm Hermione by the way." She said as she held out her hand.

"Hi," I replied and shook her hand, "my name is Evelyn, and I will not be entering the Tournament, even though I am old enough." She nodded and an understanding smile crossed her face. "It's too dangerous for me." I added, and an even bigger smile crossed Hermione's face.

"I wouldn't enter even if I was old enough too." I let out a small laugh as she did too.

It was then that a voice from across the common room yelled, "Get over here Hermione!"

Hermione rolled her eyes and said "That's my friends over there, they can be so rude sometimes, but it was nice meeting you."

I let out another smile and said, "It was nice meeting you too." Then she walked off, leaving me just alone as I was before, and now left with my thoughts about the Tournament.

———————————————————

Dinner was fine, as usual. I sat in the back of the table, alone, while reading a book. The only interesting part was meeting Snape's eye a couple of times. That has never happened before, but then I don't meet many people's eyes anyway.

After dinner I gloomily trudged down to the dungeons and in front of Snape's door. My heart was pounding as a knocked slowly, worrying about what would happen and what he would say.

"Come in." The voice from behind the door said, and I hesitantly crept in. "Miss. Owen," He stated, looking up from his papers to view my shaking form, "here for detention I presume?" I nodded, unsure if my voice still worked. "Today you will be scrubbing the floor the muggle way, so place your wand on my desk."

I quickly did just that, and grabbed my supplies. But instead of starting on my task like I should be, I went back and stood in front of his desk. "Sir," I began, trying to gain confidence.

"Ah yes," He began, looking up from his work again, "your questions." I nodded once again. "Well, get on with it." He stated plainly, with a bored expression on his face.

"Well sir, how did you know I was lying." I stuttered out.

He had a serious expression on his face as he said, "Because I was once in that bed, with the headmaster asking me the same question, and I gave him the same answer. Mine was a lie and I know yours was too."

I didn't know what to say, was he implying what I thought he was implying? It was then he opened his mouth once more, and I held me breath in anticipation. "Stop dawdling Ms. Owen and get back to work." He practically yelled at me.

I quickly dropped to the floor, and started scrubbing ferociously, not wanting to make him mad. "Oh, Miss Owen," He began and I looked back up at his stone cold face, "don't repeat what I just said to anyone." I nodded once again, still uncertain about what to do.