The Announcement

I don't exactly remember how I got to the breakfast table after I found out the news. I believe I laid in the hospital bed for a little while, crying tears that were a mix between sadness and happiness, before making my way down to the Hufflepuff table for breakfast, still crying.

Slowly I began to eat, having a hard time focusing on anything I was doing. I just kept thinking of my two little babies that were growing inside of me. I wondered if they would be smart and kind, or pitiful and damaged like me. I hoped they knew they were loved, and that I promised them that the second I knew of their existence. I really just don't want them to turn out like their parents.

I also couldn't help but imagine what they would look like, if they would have mine or their father's features. I silently prayed that they look like me, since I didn't want Severus knowing they were his. As of right now, I planned on never telling him, unsure of how he would react to the news that his student is carrying his children. Deep down in my heart though I knew he would find out, I just hoped that when he did he took it well.

My thoughts were interrupted by a very hungover Cedric, who looked terrible, as he sat down for breakfast. I didn't look much better though, with my tear stained face and red eyes. We both glanced at each other, and then looked back at our food, silently acknowledging that we both looked horrible. "Rough night?" I said after a couple minutes, trying to lighten the mood.

He let out a small smile and replied, "Definitely. You?"

I let out a knowing sigh and said, "You don't even know."

We both proceeded to eat rest of the meal in silence, mentally agreeing to never talk about this morning again.

——————————————

About two weeks later Professor Mcgonagall had special announcement at the end of transfiguration.

"Quiet down everyone!" She exclaimed as we were packing up. "'I have something to say to you all. The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth-years and above – although you may invite a younger student if you wish, as a seventh year I do not recommend it."

This sent the room into a series of giggles, and it took Mcgonagall 5 more minutes to quiet everyone down again. "Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then, The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – er – let our hair down."

All of the kids preceded to laugh some more, and I couldn't help to feel bad for the Professor who was not amused. She still continued though, "'But that does NOT mean, that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way." This and Mcgonagall's stare shut the class up pretty well, all of us knowing that the threat was serious.

"You're dismissed." She finished and I rushed out of the classroom with my heart heavy. I was not sure how a pregnant girl would look in a gown.

———————————————

"Evelyn! Evelyn! Did you hear the news!" Cedric said as he rushed to me. Our last classes had just dismissed, and I was on my way to dinner.

I frowned and said, "What news?"

He grabbed my arm, stopping me as he exclaimed "The Ball! Have you heard about the Yule Ball!"

"Oh," I said unenthusiastically, pulling away from his grasp and continuing to dinner, "the Yule Ball. I remember now."

Cedric grabbed me again, but this time holding my hands. "Well, I was wondering, if you would go with me. You know, as a friend."

My heart sunk. I really wanted to go with him, I really did, and if this news would have come a couple weeks earlier I would've said yes. But I couldn't now. I was pregnant, and he was not the Father. I didn't want to ruin his reputation like that. I was a lost cause, he wasn't.

"I can't go with you." I said after a minute, looking down at the ground.

"Why? Are you already going with someone?" Cedric asked, concerned. I sighed, not sure what to say. Should I tell him? Should I not?

I eventually just responded by saying "Look Cedric, even though I am not going with anyone, it doesn't mean I want to go with you. Just ask Cho, you know she is set on going with you."

Cedric looked offended, and I cringed. I didn't want to hurt him, he just didn't understand. "Why?! Why can't I go with my best friend!" Cedric yelled, and I didn't know what to say. I proceed to bolt off into a random corridor, trying to hold back my tears. "Wait! Evelyn!" Cedric called, running after me and grabbing my arm.

I spun around to look at Cedric, hair wiping my face. "I'm Pregnant!" I exclaimed, causing Cedric to take a step back in shock.

After a moment I began speaking again, this time in a softer voice with tears running down my face, "You know last month, after the Goblet of Fire." Cedric nodded, a concerned look still on his face. "Well my bed partner and I weren't careful, and now... now I am carrying twins."

Tears shown in Cedric's eyes, and I could tell he wanted to say something, but I cut him off. "I know what you are about to say, and I don't want to hear it. They're not your children, so you don't have to feel any responsibility to care for them. I just want you to start distancing yourself from me. You're in the public spotlight now, and I don't want to ruin your reputation with my irresponsibility and slut tendencies."

Cedric pulled me into a tight hug, causing both of us to cry. "Shh, shhh, shhhh." Cedric whispered in between his tears as he rubbed my hair. "You're not a slut Evelyn, and you better bet I will keep hanging out with you."

"But..." I began through sobs.

"But nothing." Cedric began, still hugging me, "Evelyn, you are the smartest, toughest girl I have ever met. I am proud to call you my friend, and I am sure that you will be an amazing Mom."

————————————

I don't know how long I sat in that corridor before Cedric returned, neither of us caring that we missed dinner. "Hey." Cedric said when he finally returned, sitting against the wall next to me.

"How did it go?" I asked in an unenthusiastic tone.

"Cho said yes." Cedric replied in a tired voice.

"Good." I stated, not even looking at Cedric.

"You're going to be okay." He said after a couple minutes, a tear leaking out of my eye.

"I know." I replied, leaning my head on his shoulder. We both sat there, in the hallway, for a long time. Neither of us speaking.