Eighteen - Preferably War

I ended the day early. At around 6 pm, our super de duper loyal Dahlian guards successfully forced all the reporters out and escorted all guests to clear the chapel. I told them all that I didn't want to hear anything.

Not a single news regarding all this. I skipped dinner, locked myself in my room and shut out any access to media and social media so that I won't see anything about Damian, me or even worse, Levi. At least my family understood.

There was a knock on my door. I didn't want to answer it. I didn't want to have to clean up after Damian's wicked mess.

This wasn't a joke anymore. Actually, it never really was but it never became this serious either.

"Come in." I finally went out of my shell, I mean, let someone in my shell after fifteen full hours of shutting myself out in my own room.

Levi came in, a smile unraveled on his lips and his eyebrows wrinkled a bit in the center in what I can tell was an expression of both worry and pity.

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

I got back to my work this whole time. I've really been busy with this. I just had a small detour because of all this wedding and backstabbing stuff.

"I'm fine." I lied. Of course, I wasn't and I can sense neither was he.

"That's because you no longer know what's going on."

That's right, I didn't. Nor did I ever want to. But some part of me knew that sooner or later, I'd have to face the truth and its consequences.

"So what is going on?" I asked normally, not taking my eyes off my work.

Levi paused. It wasn't a thinking pause or a how do I say this pause. In my peripheral, I saw him standing there choosing not to answer the question. It was just a pause pause.

"Just carry on with your work." He said as he softly turned the door knob.

"Levi, wait." I finally looked at him.

"Yes?" He replied as if he was hoping I'd say that.

Just when I was opening my mouth to speak, I hesitated. I wanted to tell him I love him. I mean it's already an unspoken fact that I really loved him since before.

But now, it's different.

I love him as a man and not just as a friend.

Maybe I should just wait for all this to be over.

When it gets better, I thought.

"Thank you." I said instead with a genuine smile.

"For what?" He asked ignorantly.

"For checking on me." I said it like it was so obvious.

He just smiled and stared at me with longing eyes for a while.

"What?" I blushed, embarrassed.

"Nothing," he said while slowly approaching me. When he got close, he says,

"You're just so beautiful." He stroked my hair lightly and leaned in.

"Because I love you." He said before he locked his open lips on mine and slowly let them shut. His eyes closed and so did mine.

After which, he hugged me. He hugged me tight and rubbed his hand across my back.
I wanted to say it back but I didn't.

I wanted to save it, somehow.

After that hug, he smiled,

"I love you." He said again more seriously.

I still didn't, instead, I just smiled.