Ch.17 Lucy's Aid

"I knew breaking you wouldn't be that easy."

Atsushi and I look towards the owner of the voice. Lucy walks up to us with Q's doll in her arms.

"Of course not. My teacher taught me everything I know. The hell I would break that easily." I replied. "Why are you here anyway? I didn't order room service."

"I came by to check on your twin before I made my way to the trash room. I wanted to see the pleasant sight of him suffering." Lucy smirks at us.

"Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine. So what now, you going to rat me out?"

"Please. Give us the doll and let us go." Atsushi begs.

"No. I hate privileged people like you two."

"Privileged?! Excuse you?! I was a pet!"

"Tsk. Maybe you two will know how I feel when the city burns down and you are discarded like this useless doll."

She shows off the doll as she says that.

"...I know your pain well." Atsushi lowers his head.

"Don't you dare talk like you know!" Lucy shouts. "Have you washed dishes all day with bloody fingers? Have you ever been tortured with a hot iron poker?"

She rolls up her right sleeve to reveal her scars on her arm.

"Do you have any idea how much pain and agony these scars give me?"

"...On the first day, it's the bone that hurts. But it's the third day that it hurts the most."

While speaking, Atsushi lifts up his shirt a little to show his scars on his left side

While speaking, Atsushi lifts up his shirt a little to show his scars on his left side. Lucy was taken back by what she saw.

The orphanage did that to him. However, they never really touched me. It's because when one of them did, I killed that person. They were scared of me. But, to make sure I listened, they would threaten to hurt Atsushi. So I'd listen. But even so, they hurt him anyway.

I clutch my fists as I think about it.

Atsushi would always protect me if they ever did try to touch me. He was hurt protecting me. I feel so guilty for it. The guilt from Sora's death also remained inside my mind. I couldn't protect him at the time either. That's why, I'll protect my brother no matter what.

"The burn chafes every time you move." Atsushi continues. "It hurts like hell. I was there, too. Both myself and Shiori. So we know your fear and loneliness well. But loneliness wasn't a king lording over us forever. It's just a soft, puffy cloud forming and vanishing on a whim. Many people down there carry wounds the way we do. Abandon them, and you're abandoning your past self."

"...Is that what you really want?" I asked Lucy.

Before we knew it, Atsushi and I were in a pink room filled with big toys. We were a bit surprised.

"It's too late." Lucy speaks up. "Yokohama's done for."

"No, there's still a way." Atsushi replies. "Dazai-san only needs to touch the doll to end the curse."

I narrow my eyes at my twin.

"Taking credit for my idea?"

He nervously smiles at me.

"I-I-I didn't mean to make it sound like that. Honest!"

"...Are you two stupid or what? We're in the sky. How do you think you're going to give him the doll?!"

Atsushi looks at her with determination in his eyes. I just shrug as I answer.

"I don't know... Jump."

Lucy ignores me and stares at my brother.

"...I see. You two are seriously going to do it. You'll get shot and killed by anti-air guns. Or you'll hit the ground and die. Or you'll get shredded up by the madmen on the ground. You two know those are your only options, and you're still going to do it."

"You just spit rainbows and kittens, don't you?" I sarcastically asked.

"...There's was an old book at the orphanage. It said, "I've never regretted anything I've done. I've only ever regretted the things that I didn't do." ...What was the name of the author?"

As my twin thinks to himself, Lucy's ability, "Anne of Abyssal Red", appears before us. The giant rag doll drops a backpack into Atsushi's arms.

"It's a parachute." Lucy informs us. "I kept one hidden in case I needed to escape. I connected the white door to Moby Dick's plating."

"Really? The Guild won't let you off for letting my sister and I go."

The rag doll gets behind us and starts pushing us towards the door as Lucy replies.

"I've always been lonely." As we pass by her, she drops Q's doll on top of the parachute bag. "Besides, as long as I'm in this room, I'm safe."

That's not true and she knows it. But I can see what she's doing. She's trying to convince my brother that it's okay to leave her behind.

Once we're at the door, it opens up to reveal the outside world.

"Hey, are you really going to be safe?" Atsushi looks back at her. "I know you're invulnerable in this room. But doesn't that mean you can never leave?"

"You're so dense. It's just an excuse. Live."

She smiles at him

She smiles at him.

"And save me from this place someday. I'll be waiting."

"All right."

I smile at her.

"I told you, didn't I? You would help us out sooner or later."

She sends me a small glare.

"Shut it, you."

"I promise to help you out when all of this is over. It's my way of paying you back."

"You better."

"Of course I will. I always keep my promises."

She smiles at me.

"You know, you're not that bad, pet."

"Neither are you, maid."

I turn towards Atsushi.

"Let's go."

With the parachute on his back and the doll in his left hand, he grabs me by the waist and holds me close as he jumps.

"See you later, Lucy!"

And with that, we start falling through the sky.