Ch.16 The Emergency Plan

"Are you enjoying your cruise on the Moby Dick?"

While asking that, Francis turns in his chair to face my brother. Atsushi just glares in reply.

"Excuse me." a voice speaks out.

Atsushi turns his head around and was a bit shock to see Lucy come in, wearing a servant uniform. Yesterday, when we saw him, she was wearing her normal clothes. Lucy simply turns her head away from him.

"Why is she here?"

"Ms. Lucy? She has no strategic value, given that her trick's known now, but she insisted on staying." Francis explains.

"I see now." I say as I watch her clean up. "So it wasn't out of pity. You begged like a dog."

She sends me a cold glare.

"Now, ladies. You can settle this another time." Francis smiles at us.

I just face him.

"Now." he faces my brother. "Where were we?"

Atsuhsi looks back at him.

"We're looking for a book."

"A book?"

"There's only a single copy in the world. It's said to be impervious to any degree of firepower or supernatural abilities. Someone with a gift foresaw that it would be found sealed away here in Yokohama."

"What does that book have to do with me?"

"You're literally the tiger beetle... The guide post. In fact, I brought you here because I couldn't have you turning to ashes along with the rest of the city."

"What?"

"The Gifted Special Operations Division is neutralized. All that's left is the Armed Detective Agency and the Port Mafia. These two organizations happen to be quite a pain. So, we've decided to burn down the entire city. It'll make our search easier as well."

"No one has such a powerful gift!"

"Does this not look familiar?"

While saying this, Francis holds up Q's doll. Atsushi goes into shock when he sees it. You can tell his painful memory of the doll returned to him.

"This plan is a deadly one. It's basically a combo of John's and Q's abilities." I start explaining. "John's gift let's him share his senses between a host and other trees, across his vines. Right now, he should be have connected Q to every tree in Yokohama."

Atsushi's eyes widen when he understands my explanation. Francis stands and faces the window again while holding the doll up.

"The moment I rip this doll's head off, roughly 20% of the town will be cursed." Francis then smiles at my brother. "This is the emergency plan. Also known as the Yokohama Incineration Operation."

The doll suddenly starts laughing.

"Looks like it's begun. All I need to do now is to detsory this doll and trigger the ability."

"Okay! I surrender!"

The guards had to hold my twin in place as he stands.

"The Agency and I will help you unconditionally. So please, don't destory the doll!"

Francis was nolonger smiling as he sits at his desk again.

"I see. That is an interesting proposal. Very well. Let's form a cooperative framework."

Atsushi calms down a bit as he thinks he's offer works.

"But, then again, this city misguided my pet. I'll never allow it to take what's mine ever again."

Having said this, Francis rips the doll's head off

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

I was walking down the hallway, alone.

"Let me out!" a voice shouts.

I stop in my tracks as I face the cell my twin was held in. He was looking out the small round window, watching smoke rise from the city down below.

"Stop shouting..."

Atsushi looks back at me and rushes towards the door.

"Shiori, please. Let me out. We have to save the city."

"..."

"You can't really be part of The Guild again, right? They treated you horribly before. You can't go back."

"..."

"Shiori...I can't lose you. You're my twin, my little sister. You're important to me. Not only that, but everyone at the Agency cares about you as well."

"..."

"Please..."

His eyes pleads with me.

"...Pfft. Hahahaha!"

I couldn't hold it in any longer. My brother looks at me confused.

"Shiori...?"

"Hahaha. You really fell for it."

"...You're not betraying the Agency?"

I stop laughing at my twin and smile at him.

"Of course not. I was acting, duh~."

"Acting...?"

"Yeah. I should win at least twenty Grammy awards for my performance. Everyone really fell for it. I only pretended to be on there side to figure out what their plan was. Now that I know, I know how to fix everything."

"You do?"

"Yep. It's a no brainer. We just need to get the doll to Dazai-san."

Memories of the car crash flash through my mind. I hope he's okay.

"..."

My twin looks at me with uncertainty in his eyes.

"Listen, I would never leave my brother. Nor would I ever turn my back on the Agency. They're our family after all."

Atsushi weakly smiles at me.

"Now, let's get you out of there and grab that doll."

With a determine look, Atsushi nods his head.

"Okay."

"I knew breaking you wouldn't be that easy."