Ch.9 Grape Vines

"We need to leave right away."

"Why?" Haruno questions me.

"The enemy is targeting the Agency and we can't communicate with the others. Someone nearby is jamming our signals. We're in danger if we stay here. So let's go."

"Okay." Naomi replies. "If we're in danger, then the Agency will come for us. Even though we can't reach with them."

"Of course they will. I bet they noticed that they can't reach us as well. Let's go now. I have to get you guys somewhere safe. I can handle danger, but I don't want you two to get hurt."

So the three of us leave the house and go outside. We quickly pile into the car. I was in the driver seat. Naomi sat next to me while Haruno sat in the back.

"Ready?"

"Yes." they both answered.

"Okay. Just to warn you guys," I smirk as I look ahead at the road. "I used to race cars."

"What?" Haruno worries.

"Cool!" Naomi smiles. "That could help us out."

I pull the car out and onto the road. Not caring for the speed limit, I race the car down the road.

"Naomi-chan, Shiori-chan, are you two sure the detectives will come help us?" Haruno asks, sounding unsure.

"We have my brother, I'm certain he'll come." Naomi replies in a serious manner.

"I have my brother too. Plus, Dazai-san wouldn't let me die on his watch."

Naomi smirks at me.

"So you sure you don't love him?"

"Stop with that already!"

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

"..."

No one said anything. I was too focus on trying to get my friends to safety. As we're driving along, a large vine suddenly sprouts out of the pavement.

"Shiori!" Naomi warns.

"I know."

I swerved the car and dodge it.

"Who's after us?!" Haruno questions as she looks back the vine in the distance.

"The Guild." I inform them. "That ability belongs to John Steinbeck. It's called "The Grapes of Wrath". His ability allows him to grow grape vines from any part of his body. By grafting the vines attached to his body to other plants, all the plants in the entire vicinity can become an extension of his body. In other words, he can basically control nature."

"If he can control all the nature around us, how are we going to escape?" Haruno questions.

"Look! More!" Naomi shouts.

Three more sprout out in the middle of the road. I swerved the car again and managed to escape them.

"Wow. You're really good at driving."

"Trust me, I've escaped more dangerous situations than this. And to answer your question, Harun-san, we can't. But, if I can pick up enough speed to escape them, then we might make it. Hold on."

The two do just that as I speed up. But just as I did that, a huge giant vine, made up of a bunch of little vines, shoots out the ground from behind us. It aims for us with incredible speed.

"Sh*t."

"It's closing in!"

"I'm trying to go faster. But this car isn't a racing car."