Chapter Twenty Seven

My father and I made our way down the aisle slowly. There were paparazzi snapping pictures, friends and family from both sides snapping pictures, but all I could concentrate on was Alex. He stood at the front beaming at me. He couldn't take his eyes off me either.

Once I reached the alter, the officiant smiled at me and my father. He faced everyone and spoke in a clear voice that rang across the Cathedral. "We are gathered here today to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, and to add our best wishes to the words which will unite Alexzander and Sofia in marriage. Should there be anyone who has cause why this couple should not be united in marriage, they must speak now or forever hold their peace." He gave a moment for people to make up their mind. In a brief moment of horror, I suddenly thought of my uncle and Jonathon sitting less than 20 feet from me. Would one of them speak up and spill that this was an arranged marriage? I silently prayed that no one would speak, my heart pounding wildly. My dad glanced over at me and squeezed my hand in reassurance. Across from my father and me, Alex looked just as nervous. Once no one had spoken, the officiant cleared his throat. "Please be seated.  Throughout time and tradition, it has always been the distinct honor and privilege for someone to present the bride in marriage. Who present Sofia in marriage today?"

"Her mother and I," My father replied, in a shaky voice. I glanced over at him. He was crying. I squeezed his hand and reassurance and he leaned forward and kissed my cheek, and lifted my veil. He guided my hands to Alex's and sat next to my mother in the front row. Alex beamed down at me, and once again I was struck by how tall he was compared to me. And I was wearing heels.

"From the very first days of your lives you have both set out on a journey, which has led you to this moment. And now we stand here today for the purpose of fulfilling your desire to unite in marriage. Here and now, you will take your marriage vows, exchange wedding rings, and make a total commitment to each other. Marriage is a covenant made in the hearts of two people who deeply feel that their lives are, and always will be, shared as one. This decision to marry is the most important and sacred commitment in life. Today when you Alexzander and Sofia, pledge to love and care for each other in marriage, you will create a bond, which will bind you closer than any spoken or written word. By stating your vows, you are effectively pledging to each other your love, friendship, loyalty, fidelity and trust: A promise that will take a lifetime to fulfill."

I was holding myself together surprisingly well. Alex, on the other hand had tears in his eyes. He couldn't take his eyes off me and kept grinning like a kid in a candy shop. I could hear Mrs. Laestrom sobbing from the front row and I could hear my mother doing the same. Alex and I both shared a private laugh, as we glanced at our mothers.

"Do you, Alexzander, knowing of this woman's love for you and returning it, realizing her strengths and learning from them, recognizing her weaknesses and accepting them take Sofia to be your lawfully wedded wife?" The officiant asked Alex.

"I do," Alex said, smiling at me. The officiant turned to me.

"Do you, Sofia, knowing of this man's love for your and returning it, realizing his strengths and learning from them, recognizing his weaknesses and accepting them, take Alexzander to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do." I said, in a clear voice. Alex breathed out a sigh of relief and I laughed.

"Please face each other and hold both hands, so you may feel the gift that they are to one another. Alexzander and Sofia, these are the hands on your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you. They are being held by yours on your wedding day as you two promise to love each other for the rest of your lives. The hands that you hold are the very hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future and share your innermost secrets and dreams together. These too, are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, ands with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are also the hands that will hold you when fear or grief, threaten to overwhelm you. These too are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. And these are the hands that will give you strength when you need it the most. And lastly, these are the hands that even when becoming wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch."