Chapter Twelve

"Are you excited?" Alex asked me, during breakfast a few days later. I was practically bouncing in my seat. I was starting my work at the animal hospital Alex had called a few days ago.

"Yes I am!" I sang.

Alex smiled at me over his scone. "You are so cute." He told me.

"I know. So are you." I replied. I added more sugar into my coffee and drank from my cup.

"So, have they talked to you about your schedule at all?" He asked me.

"Mondays and Thursdays, nine to two." I replied. "It's not a lot, it's barely enough to be considered part of their payroll." I joked.

"But it's something." Alex pointed out.

"This is very true. Hopefully I'll make some friends. And maybe Tatiana will turn out to be as cool as she was the other night!"

"I liked her. She was the only one of your cousins who didn't give me the eye like I was the devil." Alex said. "Oh, by the way, when you get home from work tonight, we'll be leaving for a few days with my parents. My mom wants to check out the chapel in person so we're going to be staying in England for a few days."

"Okay," I replied. "Why did no one tell me this until just now?" I asked.

"My mom told me last night, after you went to bed. I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs for a cup of water, and she was down there researching the chapel. She told me she wanted to see it in person, so I suggested we go tonight."

"I don't have time to pack." I told him.

"I'll pack for you," Alex said.

"You don't know what I want to bring." I pointed out.

"Yes, but I know what I want you to pack." Alex said suggestively. "You could let me pick your outfits for you."

"You can't even match your own clothes sometimes." I said.

"I resent that, Sofie. I have great fashion sense for a man." Alex said.

"It's a wonder how you like women," I joked.

Alex glared at me.  

"Okay," I said, holding my hands up and laughing. "I'm going now." I walked around the table and kissed him. He grabbed me and pulled me into him, so I was sitting in his lap. He didn't let me go when I tried to pull away. Then, he started tickling me.

"Hey," I cried, laughing. "You're not allowed to do that!"

He stopped and nuzzled his face into my neck, kissing me. "Don't leave," he murmured.

"I'll be back in like seven hours." I said. "And then it's off to England with me."

"Fine," he said, sighing. "Leave me if you must." He said, half-joking.

"You know this is good for me," I protested. "It was your idea. Remember?" I asked him, flashing my still painted fingernails.

He laughed. "Have a good day, Sofie." He said, kissing me on the lips before letting me go. I stood up and grabbed my purse, and left out the front door. The driver was waiting for me. I got in the back of the black limo and he set off, driving the short distance to the animal hospital.

I was nervous when I walked inside the door. Like, heart-pounding, sweaty hands nervous. There was a boy I recognized behind the front desk, talking on the desk phone. The sound of barking and meowing was faint, but very present. He smiled at me as I walked in, finishing his conversation and then hanging up. "Sofia Laestrom?" He asked me.