Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"It's time to announce the engagement." Mrs. Laestrom said at dinner the next evening. "According to what we've been telling people, the two of you have been dating for around seven months now. In order for the contract to be fulfilled, you two need to be married by June 8th next year. That's about eleven months from now, so we'll need time to start planning and shopping and sending out the invitation and things."

I looked down and took a sip of my water awkwardly. Alex and I were just starting to become friends. I didn't know how the marriage talk would affect our relationship.

"Do either of you have any time when you'd like the wedding to be?" She asked, pushing her plate away from her. Immediately, a servant came from the kitchen and took it. "Can you please bring me my wedding book from the study?" She asked. The servant nodded and took the plate into the kitchen.

Alex stayed silent, and I stared at my water. Mrs. Laestrom politely waited a few seconds.

"Well, I've always wanted a spring wedding." I managed to say. It was true. Ever since I was a little girl I'd dreamed of a spring wedding.

"Wonderful!" Mrs. Laestrom exclaimed. "I love spring weddings. We were married in the spring." She said, looking lovingly at Mr. Laestrom, who smiled at her gently.

The servant appeared from the kitchen again, this time holding a large binder bursting with paper. She took away my plate and Alex's plate. Mr. Laestrom was still eating from his. I took a sip from my water glass again, mostly to give myself something to do, rather than stare at my hands.

"I've got some ideas here for venues and dresses, color palates and more. Obviously, these are just suggestions, and I know I won't pressure you into something you don't want, besides the guest list, since there really are a large number of people who need to attend. This wedding will be a very big deal here in Asodoria." She informed me. "I put this together because I knew you'd probably be overwhelmed thinking of all you have to do in such a short time, and of course, the situation." She said gently.

I nodded. Mr. Laestrom cleared his throat. "I need to be in my study to go do some more work before bed." He said. He kissed Mrs. Laestrom quickly and left, his plate disappearing just as fast as he did. Alex began to stand, but Mrs. Laestrom held up her hand.

"I expect you to be here alongside your bride, Alexzander." She said warningly. He sat down. "And I hope that you would be active in the conversation that has so much to do with your future."

Alex and I exchanged a glance, and he looked back at his mother. "A spring wedding sounds fine to me." He said.

"Great!" Mrs. Laestrom exclaimed. "Do either of you have a specific month?" She asked.

Again, Alex and I were silent. He looked over at me, but I kept my gaze on my hands in my lap.

"How about April?" Alex said.

"That's ten months from now..." Mrs. Laestrom said, more to herself than us. "I think we'll have enough time!" She exclaimed. "If Sofia is okay with April, that is."

I shrugged. "April sounds fine."

"Any specific date?"

"The eighth." I said.

"Why the eighth?" Mrs. Laestrom asked.

"Eight is my favorite number." I replied sheepishly. "Also, Alex and I met on the eighth."

"I love it!" Mrs. Laestrom sighed. "Now how about the colors?"

"Yellow, purple, and pink." I answered automatically. I wasn't even sure where that had come from, but I liked it.