Chapter 17

I stirred the tea in the pot with a spoon before lowering the heat and taking the dough in my hands, ready to roll it.

Sammy wanted to have a, big breakfast, as he put it. It was Saturday and my father had a day off so I took the opportunity to prepare breakfast for everyone.

I couldn't sleep after my morning prayers so I finished all the home chores and started making breakfast.

I wasn't happy at the thought of all the chores already being done. I wanted to occupy myself with something to stop my mind from the hurtful thoughts and memories.

I had to find something else to do later during the day. I couldn't afford to be left alone with my dreadful and vulnerable mind.

Deciding to find some chores to do in the backyard later, I almost nodded to myself and started forming out the lean dough to bake some croissants.

"Jasmin, you've been running around the house all morning. You should go and rest." My mother's voice made me look up at her as she entered the kitchen.

"No mom, I'll rest later after breakfast." I assured while she looked after the tea in the pot.

A loud and sudden engine from outside made my hands stop abruptly. My eyes wandered to the big window in our kitchen which had the view of the house I despised looking at.

My eyes turned back to a blank wall as I listened to the ear damaging loud car drive away.

"He doesn't want anyone to find out he stays in that house, yet he drives around with that car." My mother said in disapproval.

She continued complaining about Walid but my mind had already cut everything out as the flashbacks of my miserable life appeared in my mind again.

Last night, he had showed me his true colors. He had treated me as if I didn't have any human traits in me. Like a rag doll...

I had decided, I would never let him treat me like that again. Or should I say, I would never let him treat me in any way again. Last night was the last time in my life I interacted with him. I would shut him out off my life completely.

The way he came into my life, the way he married me and later on treated me as if I was his father's property....it was unacceptable.

My mother was right, I should've not taken the situation so lightly. I should've fought against him for my right to freedom. My right to bee freed from a man like him...

I wasn't worried though. It was still not too late. I was going to make him leave me alone forever and ever. I was going to end everything.

I flinched when someone put their hand on my shoulder. I slowly turned to my mother only to see her look at me with stress filled eyes.

"Jasmin, I can't see you like this anymore." She started. "Ever since you've returned, you've changed. It feels like you have returned to us, but you have left something behind. I understand marriage is a big deal and it should be. Also, the way your marriage took place gives you more reasons to be depressed. But you are here and your mind is somewhere else. You don't eat properly, you don't sleep properly and you just seem so stressed."

Her words held the truth. I had changed. He had taken over me completely and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

"I don't know how I can help you. Neither can I tell you to forget and move on because that man is making it harder for you. But all I can say is please try to fix your life. Stand up for yourself and don't let anyone control your life. You have every right to make your own decisions." Her fingers squeezed my arm and I closed my eyes.