Chapter 35

After a wonderful morning with the presence of family and friends, it was time to visit the ones who were not physically present with us. It was a common thing to do during Eid. To visit the dead and pray for them.

Most of the family members had already been to the graveyard early in the morning. Me and Walid though had been busy with all the people coming to wish and bless us at the Aydın mansion.

We finally got the time and now we were on our way. I was surprised at myself how calm and peaceful I was feeling on my way to visit my sister. For the past years, big days like this always made the wound feel so freshly cut and all the memories haunted me.

However, it was completely different this time. Usually I would cry myself to sleep the night before Eid thinking about our beautiful memories we had and how we used to celebrate together.

Maybe this was how it was to move on. Maybe I never moved on before. I was stuck in that one dark place. So maybe Walid had made that one part of me heal just by his sole presence...

I glanced at him and felt a soothing feeling run through my body. His eyes were focused on the road and he was very calm and composed.

The car came to a stop and we got down. Walid rounded the car and approached me while I put the scarf on my head loosely to cover my hair.

I caught him staring at me with a smile. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering why he looked so amazed but I shrugged it off.

"Should we go to you sister first?" He asked and I nodded and showed him the way.

As we came closer, I noticed the white tulips.

I sighed when we reached and a faint smile took over my face. I could tell my parents had been here already because her tombstone was shining and there were fresh flowers apart from the tulips. Kneeling down, I spread the tulips over the grave.

"You know, every single year on Eid, there's white tulips put on her grave. I still don't know who the person behind the flowers is..."

"Do you want me to find out?" I heard Walid say, making me look up at him and flash him a smile.

"No, it's probably just one of her friends." I stated, my smile slowly dropping when I saw Walid's gaze on her tombstone. "What's wrong?" I asked, standing up.

Walid was speechless for a moment before he spoke up. "The date....it's..." He trailed off, his brows furrowing in confusion again.

"It's what?" I eagerly asked.

"Nothing...I just noticed that her birthday was like a month ago." His words didn't convince me because it felt like he was still worried with confusion but I let it slide.

"Yeah, it was the day you had locked me in your room and didn't let me visit her." I reminded him boldly.

"What?" It took him a moment to realize. "If you had told me you wanted to come here I would take you." He defended.

"I know. I should've just told you instead of assuming you knew." My voice softened subconsciously when I saw the guilt in his eyes.

"Why would you assume that I know when her birthday is?" He questioned.

"Well....it was at that time I thought you knew her..." I felt embarrassed thinking about the childish thoughts and accusations I had made back then. Just over finding her picture in his room.... "Let's make some prayers so we can go to your mother." I changed the subject.

Some moments later, it was time to visit his mother. We made our way and it wasn't that far away. It was just a two minute walk and if there hadn't been some trees and bushes, I would've been able to see his mother's grave from my sister's side.