Chapter I

We were lying on our backs, looking at the bright blue sky, waiting for the rest of our gang to come. We lived in somewhat of a middle age setting, but when the Apocalypse came, we were sent backward. Only small groups of humans survived, but we came together along with the other species that had come out of hiding. Elves, magicians, and my favorite, dragons.

The dragons were first seen as wild animals, but as we adjusted to them, we befriended them. Soon the Dragon Riders were established. Only the best warriors could become Dragon Riders. However the Royal Families grew jealous of their rise to power and so began the war. It was almost like another Apocalypse, but the Riders had died in an ambush attack from the Royal Armies.

“What do you guys want to do?” Asked my best friend, Tyler. Blades of grass tangled with his dark brown hair the sun's rays bounced off his brown eyes.

“I don't know.” I said, gazing at the mark on my right palm I had gotten when I was three. It was an oval shaped silver mark that was jagged at the edges.

“Swimming?” Fred asked. He had short black hair and eyes of the same color.

“Only when her Highness is here.” Adam said. His buzz cut blonde hair bounced the sunlight off it. His bright green eyes had a watery color to them.

“Yeah, man, she loves swimming.” Lamar stated. He and Fred were both black, but the kingdom didn't treat them unfairly.

The new King and Queen that had arrived thirteen years ago when the kingdom was a mess and on the verge of turmoil. They quickly went to work on improving the kingdom. They were by far, the best King and Queen that ever lived in the kingdom.

“Yeah, it's because she's a fish, dude.” I said. “Oh!” I grunted in pain as someone stomped on my stomach.

“I'll take that as a compliment.” Princess Ashley said. Her long brown hair shined in the sunlight with her beauty and her soft brown eyes looked into my icy colored blue ones. I often called her a fish because of her love for the water. She often retaliated by calling me a hot head due to my red hair glowing like fire when it hit the sun just right.

She then started to press down on my ribcage with her shoe.

“Ah! Watch the ribs!” I said.

“Or what?” she asked.

Being the strongest of the group, I grabbed her leg and forced and pinned her to the ground.

“Or that will happen.” I said.

I let her get up and I noticed that she had a shell necklace was around her neck.

“That's new.” I said.

“Yeah, I found it in an old chest in the attic this morning. I thought it was cool.” she explained.

Her handmaidens, Liana, Kayla, and Kiera came over. Liana had curly blonde hair to her shoulders. She had blue eyes, but they were a little darker than mine. Kayla always had her brown hair in a ponytail, but what really gave her beauty were her smooth green eyes. Kiera, like Fred and Lamar was black, but unlike them, her hair was smoothed out. I noticed that one of them was new. She had brown hair to the small of her back and she also had brown eyes like Ashley. I could tell that she was a girl who was serious.

“Who's the new meat?” Fred asked.

“Oh, guys this is Sarah, Sarah this is Adam, Fred, Lamar, Matthias, and Tyler.” she introduced us by pointing.

“Yo!” we all said, raising our right hands.

“What's that?” She asked me.

I instinctively put my right hand down by my side.

“What's what?” I asked.

“That on your hand.” she said.

She took my hand and saw my mark.

“The mark of the Dragon Riders. The Draco Notam.”

I took away my hand and said “You're crazy. I've had this since I was three.”

“It's the same mark on the entrance to Dragon Cave.”

“Stop it both of ya.” Kayla shouted.

“Okay boss.” I said sarcastically.

“So what do ya wanna do?” Tyler asked again.

“Let's go swimming.” Ashley said.

“Okay let's go!” I said.

Leading the group to the water hole we took turns in the outhouse changing into our swim suits. “We'll go for a two hour swim then we have to get ready for the party.” I said.

It was Ashley's birthday and the whole village was going to the castle to celebrate her thirteenth year. “Hold on. There aren't any sharks in this hole, are there?” Sarah asked.

“Nah, just watch out for the crocs though.” I said.

“Crocs?!”

“I'm kidding. There are no crocs, sharks, or leeches in this hole.”

“C'mon, let's go.” Ashley said.

We ran into the water and Sarah said “Oh, God, it’s cold!”

“Get used to it.” I said.

“Guys.” we heard Ashley.

We all turned to her. Magic swirled around her and her legs tightened joined together and formed a tail. Then the magic faded and left Ashley in her new form.

“Oh, crap.” I said. “I was right. You're a fish.”