Chapter 4

Chapter 4

   My eyes widened and I looked down, pretending that I did not just hear that. I placed my hand on my forehead in an attempt to cover my face, pretending that I have a headache. I tried moving my fringe in my face but I failed miserably because he was still able to recognise me.

   Next to me was a table with magazines and I spontaneously picked up a random one. When I looked down, I realised that I was holding an adult magazine.This was the third time this has happened to me today. Where did my luck disappear to today? It was like I was a magnet that attracted these kinds of magazines. The thing that distrubed me the most that the hospital had adult magazines in the first place. 

   I quickly chucked the magazine down before Payton could see it but it was too late. The fact that he burst out laughing didn't help either. Today was definitely an unlucky day.

   "Wow, PMG. You're obsessed with those magazines, aren't you?"

   Stay calm, Kayla. Do not look up. 

   But I couldn't do it. His voice was alluring. I looked up and saw his gorgeous blue eyes that were so breathtaking that the more I stared into them, the more addicted I became.

   "Yeah, you got a problem with that?" I snapped, teasingly.

   "Nope, no problem at on. It actually turns me on," he smirked, wagging his eyebrows. 

   That was not the response I was expecting. I remembered to play it cool. "Really? Well, it turns me on too," I winked at him. Payton raised an eyebrow at me, obviously shocked at my statement. I wondered if he realised that I was joking.

   "Can I sit next to you?" he questioned, pointing to the chair besides me. I nodded because I didn't trust myself to say something normal. "Thanks."

   For the next few minutes, there was an awkward silence.

   Say something, you idiot! 

   "Umm, what are you doing here?" I asked quietly, staring at the framed picture of a child on a swing and trying to avoid eye contact with him.

   "Am I not allowed to sit here?" 

   "Of course you can sit here. It's not like the chair is my property. What I meant was what are you doing here in the hospital?" I explained, making sure that he understood what I was trying to say without sounding desperate.

   "Oh, I'm, uh, you know, I'm here Work Experience?" This boy was a worse liar than I was.

   I scoffed at his answer. "Payton, only one student gets selected to do Work Experience at each work place and at this hospital, Amanda was chosen."

   "Dammit, you got me there. Well, what are you doing here then?"                        

   "I'm here becaus–" 

   "Ah, I know why you're here," he interrupted me which was lucky because I almost told him the real reason why.

   "Why am I here then?"

   "You're getting a check up for the pregnancy, aren't you?"

   My jaw dropped to the floor. How did he know? Pip was going to go crazy if someone knew that she was pregnant. Payton chuckled evilly. "I'm right, aren't I?"

   Sorry buddy, but I'm kind of frozen at the moment.

   "H-how d-did you know?" I stuttered nervously.

   "Would you like me to recap today's memorable moments at the supermarket?" It was all making sense now. Payton didn't know that Pip is pregnant – he thought it was me.