Chapter 10

Chapter 10

   "I don't think I can do this," Pip admitted as we were walking towards the school café.

   Placing an arm in front of Pip, I stopped her from continuing further. "What do to mean you can't do this?" I asked feeling slightly irritated. After spending all of last night preparing Pip mentally for this moment, she decided to bail out last minute. There was no way I was going to let that happen.

   "It means exactly what it's supposed to mean."

   "I thought you wanted to hang out with Adrian," I pointed out.

   Pip sighed loudly. "Of course I do but I'm so nervous. What would we even talk about?"

   "Just be yourself. He doesn't like fake girls who pretend to be someone that they're not. Trust me."

   "Okay..." she replied hesitantly, "hopefully he doesn't think I'm a loser."

   "Seriously?" I said in annoyance. "What's up with you lately? You're Philippa Wilson–a strong, beautiful and intelligent person. What happened to my best friend? Stop being so pessimistic. Please don't tell me that the baby is affecting your personality," I joked.

   Pip laughed and her mood instantly lifted. "You're right, I have been acting differently lately. I need to be more confident. I can do this."

   "Yes, you can!" I exclaimed, pumping my fist in the air to cheer her on.

   "Let's do this. There's no backing out now," Pip stated dramatically.

   "You make it sound like you're going to die in there."

   "My social status is on the line!"

   "What social status?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

   "Touché."

   Despite Pip's several failed attempts to run away, I managed to get us both in the café without attracting too much attention. I instantly spotted Adrian sitting at a table with another guy who I didn't recognise. Adrian saw us and waved, smiling brightly.

   "I need to go to the bathroom," Pip announced suddenly but I knew she was lying.

   "No you don't, now come on." I grabbed her hand and dragged her over to Adrian's table. "Where's Payton?" I asked when I realised that he wasn't there.

   Adrian smirked. "What? No 'hello Adrian'?"

   I rolled my eyes and sat down on a chair. Pip followed my lead. "You don't deserve a hello."

   "What did I do wrong?" Adrian pouted, feigning hurt.

   "You got me a detention."

   "Oh God, not this again. For the last time, that wasn't my fault!" Adrian and I continued arguing for what felt like another two hours but in reality it was only for a few minutes.

   A cough interrupted us. I looked up and saw Pip and Mystery Man watching us in amusement. "Sorry to interrupt but you guys were on the verge of killing each other. Oh and I'm Chuck by the way," Mystery Man said, introducing himself.

   "Hi Chuck. I'm Kayla and this is Pip." I shook Chuck's hand. "Are you new here? I don't think I've seen you around before."

   "Yeah, I started last week."

   "What's the point when we only have a couple of weeks left?"

   "Well, I went to a private school so the school year ended earlier. My parents thought it would be a good idea if I finished the year off here so I can get used to everything before school starts again next year," Chuck explained. "Much to my disappointment, of course."