Chapter 13

Thank you everyone for being so patient! Special thanks to MrsFeehilyHoran, lizardlove, georgie-oso, CassidyCast, niyahsmith701 and AntonetteTaylor for commenting on the previous chapter. I really appreciate your kind words and it means a lot to me.

Chapter 13

   “One more week and we’re finally free from this hellhole,” Adrian exclaimed dramatically, making everyone at the table laugh. “Then it’s Christmas, then it’s New Year’s and then we’re going to the beach house!”

   “Thanks for reminding us for the hundredth time,” Chuck joked, earning a glare from his cousin.

   “Whatever,” Adrian said, placing an arm around Pip’s shoulders casually.

   Wait a moment, did I miss something?

   I stared at Adrian, trying to get his attention in a subtle manner. Once he saw that I was looking at him weirdly, he raised an eyebrow in confusion.

   Adrian, if you can hear me nod your head, I sent to Adrian telepathically. Adrian nodded which caught me by surprise. Did he actually get my message or was he just randomly nodding at me? Ever since we were young, we would joke about being able to read each other’s mind but we secretly prepared our answers in advance. I’d say thirty percent of the people we tested this on actually believed us which we were more than ecstatic about. At the time, we thought that we were so clever and deceitful.

   Cough this time if you can hear me, I commanded, still looking at Adrian in determination. A few seconds passed and much to my disappointment, he didn’t cough. The first time must have been a coincidence then. I’d just have to ask him what was going on between Pip and him another time.

   I shook my head at him and mouthed, “Don’t worry.”

   “Okay, weirdo,” Adrian mouthed back. I flipped him off and took out my phone from my pocket. I had one messages and three email notification. When I saw Payton’s name, I immediately clicked on his message which was sent a few minutes ago, ignoring the emails I received.

From: Payton Campbell

Hey, I have tennis training now and I’m sorry that I left you with Adrian. If Adrian’s presence terrifies you, which is unsurprising, then you’re more than welcome to hit a few balls with me (tennis balls, I mean). I’m at the tennis courts next to the gym :) xx

   I almost squealed when I saw the “xx” added at the end but luckily I didn’t because that would have been embarrassing. Adrian, in particular, would never let me hear the end of it if he heard me squeal. “Does anyone want to go to the tennis courts with me?” I asked the trio who were busy eating their lunches.

   Pip looked up at me and frowned. “But I wanna eat,” Pip said, pouting while pointing to her sandwich. Of course she said that. Pip loved food. She probably loved food more than she loved me.

   “Adrian?”

   “No thanks, I’ll stay with Pip to keep her company,” Adrian replied and Chuck mumbled “nope.”

   “You’re all a bunch of lazy asses. I’ll go by myself.”

   “We love you too,” Adrian added with a grin.

   “Have fun with Payton!” Pip exclaimed and I rolled my eyes at all of them.

   Once I reached the tennis courts, I spotted Payton easily in his sports clothes since he was taller than the other students. He was doing some impressive tricks with his racquet, throwing it up in the air and catching it effortlessly. There were a few other students there who were training and Coach Cornell, who also happened to be my neighbour, was talking to Payton.