Chapter 14

Chapter 14

   For the rest of the night, Daniel and I stayed up texting each other practically about anything and everything, making me realise how much I truly missed talking to him. He was a great, funny and caring guy, and I regretted pushing him away years ago when my dad passed away. At the time, I felt like my very world was crushing, like the weight of everyone else’s shoulders collapsed upon me and consequently, I couldn’t handle the pressure and I became mentally unstable. Falling into a depression clouded my judgement and I pushed everyone who tried to help me away. It was what I did best. I hated feeling vulnerable but whenever I had a façade, people saw right through me and treated me as if was going to brake down at any moment. I hated it so much that all I wanted was to forget the pain and emptiness. However, there was one person who never left my side, my best friend Pip, and no matter how hard I tried hiding my feelings from her she stayed with me and helped me recover.

   “Good morning,” I greeted Pip when she woke up. I sat at the end of the bed cross-legged and as I watched her struggle with the difficult task of waking up, I couldn’t help but laugh. While waiting for Pip to get her lazy ass out of bed, I managed to take a shower, get dressed and brush my teeth. Pip generally woke up half an hour later than I did on school days but was never late since she claimed to have ‘amazing rushing skills’.

   After Pip yawned loudly and stretched her arms, she furrowed her brows and glared at me. “There’s nothing ‘good’ about waking up in the morning and why are you so chirpy?”

   “No reason,” I replied with a casual shrug.

   “Lies. I know you were texting someone all last night and don’t you dare lie to me, missy.”

   “I’m not going to deny that,” I said before taking a bite of a delicious, juicy apple.

   “I don’t know how your body can do that. Aren’t you exhausted? I can’t even stay up until two in the morning without waking up at three in the afternoon the next day.”

   “Weakling,” I joked. Pip threw a pillow at me in frustration which I dodged successfully. She finally sat up and did this weird thing where she loudly cracked her back and neck, causing me to cringe. Pip then made her way into her bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth.

   “Who was it?” she mumbled with toothpaste in her mouth.

   “Dan,” I said, throwing the apple core into the bin and then collapsed onto her soft bed, staring at the white ceiling.

   “Dan who?”

   I cringed and mentally prepared myself for her reaction. “Daniel Cornell,” I told her a minute later.

    “What?!” I heard Pip exclaim. I quickly sat up as Pip stormed out of the bathroom with toothpaste smeared across her face and her eyes looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets. I couldn’t help myself and burst into fits of laughter since she looked ridiculous.

   A few seconds later Pip realised that she was still in the middle of brushing her teeth and went back into the bathroom to rinse her mouth. When she returned, I was sitting couch with my feet resting on the coffee table.

    “Just in case I didn’t hear you properly, did you say that you have been texting Daniel Cornell?” Pip asked painfully slowly for emphasis.

    “Correct,” I confirmed.

    “Oh wow. Are you sure that’s a good thing?”

    “I know we have a difficult past but I’ve missed talking to him,” I explained.