Chapter 5

Chapter 5

   I couldn’t believe what I was seeing with my own eyes. What on Earth was going on? I slowly bent down to pick up my keys that I dropped, my eyes not leaving the two police officers standing tall in the room, one female and the other male. I blinked a few times to make sure my vision wasn’t fooling me. Why were there police officers in our home?

   I stood there in complete shock.

   No, not again.

   Whenever the police were involved, the end result was never good for my family. “Are you Kayla?” the female officer asked. I nodded my head slowly, still unable to speak. “I’m Officer Andrews and this is Officer McCray. We have some news to tell you and your family so I suggest that you sit down.” She spoke so confidently and calmly, and I had no idea how.

   Listening to her, I did as I was told and sat down next to my brother who was clutching tightly onto Mum. “Please go on,” Mum spoke, her voice slightly quivering.

   “Your mother wanted us to wait until you got home,” said Officer McCray. He seemed distressed about what he had to say next. After waiting for a few moments, he continued. “It’s about your father, Kyle Jones.”  

   My ten year old brother, Kyle Junior, was sitting next to Mum, clutching onto her while she comforted him. He sniffled loudly, indicating that he had been crying earlier. Kyle never cried. The last time I saw him cry was at Dad's funeral which was over ten years ago. He was always the stronger one, even though he was six years younger than me.

   “What’s going on?” I questioned softly, trying to keep my voice down. I could feel the anger spreading throughout my body but I tried to remain calm. 

   My mother looked at me with misery in her eyes. She was about to say something until I heard Kyle sobbing loudly.

   “Kyle, what's wrong? Why are you crying?” Kyle cried even more which made my heart break. I couldn’t bare seeing him cry. I took him from my mother’s hands and hugged him gently.

   “I miss Dad,” he sniffed and blew his nose using Pip's top before wrapping his arms around me. Ignoring the fact that I had Kyle's snot all over Pip's t-shirt that she let me borrow, I felt so bad for the little guy. Tears filled my eyes but I forced them back like I always did. I guess I was used to it now. A few years ago, I promised myself that I wouldn’t cry over Dad’s death anymore.

   The day my dad died, was the day Kyle was born. The day where a life was lost, another was gained. When Dad heard that Mum was in labor, he quickly rushed to the hospital. He dropped me at Pip’s house beforehand and heard the news when he was driving back home so I wasn’t in the car with him when the tragedy happened. If I was then there was a strong chance that I would have died with him. According to the police, a truck ran a red light and hit my dad’s car, demolishing it beyond repair and killing him in the process. 

   Kyle was named after our dad. Thinking back at the memories caused a rush of sorrow to pour into my heart and spreaded to the rest of my body. All I could feel was sadness.

   Our mother hushed us which stopped my reminiscing and told the officers to continue. She seemed eager to hear what they had to say. The officers shared a look and Officer Andrews nodded.

   Officer McCray sighed, making me anxious. “Okay so, we have recently found some evidence that lead us to believe that your father’s death wasn’t actually an accident. He was murdered.”

   “M-m-murder?” I repeated, shakily.

   “Yes, the car crash appeared to be a druken accident but like I said before, we have found some new information about what truly happened the night of his death. From a reliable source we discovered that someone had planned the attack. An assassin was instructed to hit the car and, unfortunately, they succeeded.”

   Those three words ran though my mind, what truly happened… 

   Everyone in the room stayed silent for a few minutes to take in Officer McCray's announcement.

   Suddenly my mother stood up and the rage she was feeling was evident. “How dare you? How dare you come into my home and talk about my husband’s death! He is dead and nothing can change that. Murder? You finally tell us that someone murdered him? After all these years of blaming Kayla, you barge into my home and tell me that it was murder.”

   I stared at my mum in disbelief. I knew it was my kind of fault but she actually said it. I thought your parents were supposed to be on your side and say it’s not your fault and that everything was going to be okay even if everything was going downhill.

   She always told me that it was an accident but everything she said was all a lie. She blamed me entirely, and I now blamed myself.

   “Oh Gosh Kay, I am so sorry. If your father didn’t take you to Pip’s house then he would have taken a different route to the hospital. I didn't mean what I just said. It just… slipped!” she quickly apologised when she saw my reaction to her words.

   “You did mean it though.” A single teardrop fell down my cheek and I angrily wiped it away. I took one look at her and turned away with disgust. Facing my little brother, I kissed his forehead lightly and gave him a quick hug. Reluctantly, I let go of him and turned to the police officers who cringed at my anger.

   “Kayla we are sorry about upsetting your family but we thought that you deserved to know the truth,” Officer Andrews explained, trying to calm me down.

   “It’s not your fault officers,” I told them truthfully, “but as soon as you get more information about my father’s death contact me as soon as possible. I want to find his murderer and make sure that they are locked behind bars for the rest of their lives.” Officer Andrews nodded strongly in agreement.

   Without saying another word, I walked out of the house and slammed the door behind me.