Chapter 12

Surprise! This chapter is from Adrian’s point of view!

Chapter 12

Adrian Parker:

   “Dude, are you sure it’s a good idea tagging along with me?” Chuck asked. The bell rang for lunch a few minutes ago and Chuck and I were walking towards the library to meet Pip for their “study date” that I was supposedly “crashing”.

   I raised an eyebrow at my cousin. “Why do you think that it would be a bad idea?”

   “Well, you’ll kinda be a third wheel...”

   “How so?" I snapped, clenching my fists in anger. “It’s not like this is a date or anything.” If anyone was going to be the third wheel, it would be Chuck. Me? A third wheel? Never.

   Let me explain my situation with my cousin before you think I have anger problems. Ever since we were young, Chuck would always be everyone’s favourite. As I grew up, it became clearer to me how everyone preferred Chuck. I was never anyone's first choice. Even my parents loved him more than they loved me despite my numerous efforts to impress them.

   Chuck had this tendency to steal everyone I cared about and then turn them against me. I couldn’t let the same thing happen with Pip. She was mine. Well, not yet anyway.

   “It’s a study date.”

   “That means nothing. You’re just doing homework together,” I argued. “Unless this is what you usually do on your dates then you, my cousin, are really lame.”

   “Firstly, you’re a dick.” He paused to punch my shoulder which actually hurt more than I’d cared to admit. “Secondly, Pip is like smoking hot. Have you seen her ass? I wouldn’t mind tapping that and thirdly, she’s single and ready to mingle.”

   I frowned at him. The way Chuck talked about girls disgusted me. He didn’t even care about their feelings, only whether they were good in bed or not.

   “You’re pathetic,” I stated bluntly. Chuck laughed at my insult which was surprising. I was honestly expecting a punch from him.

   “Stop acting like you have a crush on her or something, dude,” Chuck joked, earning a glare from me. It took Chuck one second after seeing my reaction to realise the truth about my feelings for Pip. Shit. “No freaking way. You like Pip, don't ya? Dude! Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

   Oh no. This wasn’t good. Every time I told Chuck about a girl I liked, he would flirt with her, take her away from me and then end up dating her instead. It was what Chuck was good at–ruining any chance I had of happiness. That was why I was so determined to hide my feelings about Pip from him but I failed and now Chuck knows the truth. At the first chance he gets, he'll strike and Pip will fall into his stupid, deceptive trap.

   “I swear, if you hurt her, I will ki–”

   “Calm down,” Chuck interrupted, grinning at me. “I won’t make a move on Pip.”

   Yeah, right asshole. That’s what you said last time, and the time before that, and the time before that too.

   “Promise me, Chuck. Promise me that you won’t hurt her,” I said, almost begging him.

   “Of course, dude. I won’t even touch her,” he smirked and they way he said it made it obvious that he was lying. Just as I was about to punch Chuck's hideous face, his phone beeped and he took the device out from his pocket. “Pip texted me saying that she’s already there,” he announced after reading the message. I glared at him. Even I don’t have her number. “Well, are you just going to stand there? We don’t want to keep her waiting, now do we?”