Chapter 31- Entrevistas.

COUNTDOWN TO THE END: 4

---------------------------

Chapter Thirty-One: Entrevistas.

Somewhere in Germany

Reporter Linda Wilson began huddling her camera crew eagerly as they pulled up to a large country home.

“How do I look?” She asked nervously.

“Perfect,” John (her main camera man) answered.  Beneath a bright yellow sun, her blonde locks of hair fell behind her shoulders as she adjusted her red lipstick. Surrounded by a field of well-kept gardens, her and her crew anxiously rehearsed their lines for the following events.

Good,” She chanted. “This will be good.”

This will (without a doubt) be the biggest interview of her career. After two years of making a living writing about trivial celebrities (countless articles on Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus), she was finally making her way up to bigger topics: politicians, activist, congressmen, senators; and today—United Nations ambassador Wilhelm Steiger.

He was a well-known young, handsome, and wealthy philanthropist. His fame had grown exponentially when he began promoting the Anti-War tour, and now it was her who would do the honors of his first and only face to face interview.

“How are you, Mr. Steiger?” She shook his hand steadily as they sat in his wide, lavish home office.  He flashed her a very charming smile and asked her to sit down kindly. The camera crew was careful not to hover above them too closely.

“Please, you can call me Wilhelm.” He said, and Mike (the sound editor) made sure their microphones did well to capture the smoothness of his voice.

“You’ve inspired an entire generation with your speeches of Anti-war and peace. How do you feel about the positive impact you’ve had on so many people?”

“I wouldn’t go as far as to take credit for influencing the entire generation.” He smiled at her, and she tried hard to compose her breathing. “We live in an age where today as global citizens we are all experiencing new forms of problems. Whether it be environmental or civil. I give credit to everyone whose reading and informing themselves on these topics. Awareness is key, and that is all I’m trying to spread.”

“Very noble of you, Mr. Steiger—I mean, Wilhelm.” She chuckled, awkwardly.

“Throughout the year we’ve seen you make trips to affected countries such as Afghanistan and Siberia. What has your experience there thought you?”

“I believe we need more communication. These Middle Eastern countries and the Western Allies share a history of strained diplomatic relationships. It’s time for a new institution to address the rising conflicts such as nuclear weapons, uprising revolutions, civil suppressions. For the sake of the children and all of the citizens.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” She fluttered her long lashes in a flirtatious manner and smiled wide as Wilhelm Steiger responded with a smooth smirk.  

“Earlier this year the public watched on live TV as your vehicle strolled along the streets of Germany and almost hit a pedestrian girl.” She changed the tone of the conversation and pulled out some index cards as if though re-scanning some facts.

“Aw, yes. I remember.”

“You got out of the car, and you saw her. Did you recognize who she was?”

“My assistants tell me she was…a…” He paused to re-scan his memories, and his gray eyes radiated a look of utter sweetness. “A girl who had been abducted. Is that right?”

“Yes,” Linda smiled.

“Thanks to that live streaming the Spaniard Authorities helped locate her where-abouts. It seems you do good wherever you go, Mr. Steiger…from Afghanistan to Germany.”  

“It feels good to do good.”

“It certainly does.”  She smiled.

They went on to discuss his upbringings, and his childhood memories of growing up traveling the world. When it was time to wrap the interview up, she pulled out another index card.

“Now, here I have a few questions submitted by local people who have been dying to learn more about you. They are a bit…trivial. If you will.” She smirked.

“By all means…”He waved his arms in an approving fashion.

“Here goes: Tell us something about you that not many people know.”

I speak Latin.”

“Aw, very nice. What is your favorite color?”

Blue.”

“What is your favorite song?”

Eleanor Rigby.”

“Favorite City?”

Berlin, of course.”

“Do you have a middle name? And if so what is it?”

Yes, Antonius.”

“What is your most prized possession?”

My most prized possession…” He thought about it for a second, and then, like he had suddenly remembered—he reached into a cabinet in his desk and pulled out a thin golden case. Linda inclined forward with intrigue and the camera crew made sure to zoom in on the object. When he slowly opened the case, he pulled out a very antique looking thing.

“A red pen?” She smiled wide.

“My lucky red pen.”

***