Chapter 14- All the Before's.

----------------------------

Chapter Fourteen: All The Before’s.

“It’s one of my deepest regrets.” The librarian said, and I saw a few tears tumble down his cheek.

“You didn’t know the type of person he would become…” Gabriel padded his back gently.

“No,” Caleb’s eyes became a bit angry. “But the Oracle did.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t be foolish, young prince.” The librarian dismissed him, “Even I know that The Oracle doesn’t have the power to stop what he foresees.”

“He could’ve at least warned us all.”

“Might have made matters worse…”

“We need to focus, guys.” I added. Things were beginning to trail off onto things that I just wasn’t following anymore. “We know his brother is alive. We only need to find him.”

“She’s right.” Gabriel said, “If we find him, we might have a chance at weakening The Alliance.”

“But where do we start?”

“Well…” Caleb thought out loud, “If we’re to defeat our enemies we must learn to understand them…” He quoted the librarian, who smiled wide like a proud uncle.

“I know what to do.” Caleb said, and then his eyes dozed away like he was mentally imagining our new plan taking action.

 “If Quintus’ brother is an illicit, then there could only be one thing he wants more than anything…”

“And what would that be?” The librarian asked with his deep, elderly voice.

Caleb tugged at his own shirt and pulled out the necklace from underneath. It was the same necklace Mary Anne had left for him in Paris, with the Oath Keeper.

“Is that the First Stone of Helios?” The librarian asked in disbelief. His glasses nearly fell off his face when he took a good look.

“Yes,” Caleb nodded. “This means that he’ll be searching for the other half of the pendant—he’ll be looking for the Second Stone.”

***

Gabriel was right when he said he could help us.

The Librarian might not have been able to tell us which Council members are secretly a part of the Alliance, but he did shed light on a few good points.

“We must find The Second Stone before he does.” Caleb said, and rose tall from his chair. We all got up after him.

“There’s a possibility that he might already have found it, my Prince.”

“What should I do if that’s true?” I heard a bit of worry in Caleb’s voice when he asked. I still had no idea what the big deal about these necklaces were, or these “stones” as they kept on referring to them.

“If that’s the case, then you hold on tightly to the First Stone and make sure they never use it against you.” The Librarian answered.

Caleb and Gabriel huddled up and began to form a plan. Gabriel, who had exceptional sensing abilities, suggested to stick to the original plan and capture an Alliance member—the idea was to catch one when they were vulnerable, and to interrogate him.