Chapter 12- The Librarian

----------------------------

Chapter Twelve: The Librarian

He was seated in a small circular table reading a large book.

He was very elderly, his face was covered with heavy wrinkles and the skin on his neck was saggy. He was balding, but still had shreds of platinum white hair covering most of his scalp. He wore a very formal outfit, and I wondered who this man was, and exactly how much did he know?

Caleb, Gabriel and I paused. And then Gabriel took the first step forward.

“Are you the man they call the Librarian?” he asked softly.

The elderly man seemed startled by Gabriel and quickly rose off his chair.

“Wh-what, who are you?” The older man took a step backwards, he seemed frightened.

“We just have a few questions.”  Gabriel used an incredibly soft voice, as to not scare him away further.

But the older man adjusted his glasses and stepped backwards again, inclining his head upwards only to take a good look at Gabriel.

 And then his eyes widened.

“No!” He yelled out in his weak elderly voice. “I want nothing to do with your kind, go away!”

“Please, just listen. I’m not alone. I brought someone…” Gabriel pointed at Caleb.

Caleb seemed just as confused as I was, but he took a step forward as to let the older man take a good look at him.

“My name is Caleb Deverix.” Caleb said politely, his British accent only enhanced that.

The older man took a long glance at him and after an extended, awkward moment, he laughed to himself.

“Ha..ha..ha…” He was having trouble breathing as he laughed so hard. I thought his elderly lungs would give out soon, and then he said something that took us all off guard.

 “If it isn’t the son of Le’stat…” 

“Huh?” I looked at Caleb, who seemed just as bewildered as me.

The old man took slow steady steps towards Caleb, examining him closely with his thick framed glasses. “I haven’t seen you in centuries.”

“What?” Caleb’s eyes widened in surprise, and my mouth hung open. Out of all the bizarre things that could’ve possible happened, this has to be the one I least expected.

“Are you an immortal?” I asked in disbelief.

I couldn’t think straight.

“I thought The Council never chose older people to Immortalize?”

I remembered Caleb explaining to me that due to their age, older people’s “soul” was tainted with too many human experiences and that’s why they were never immortalized.

But, this made no sense.

“He’s not an immortal,” Gabriel said softly. He didn’t look as nearly surprised as we were, in fact, he looked like he knew exactly what was going on.

But Caleb became frantic. Before I could realize it, he was standing before the old man, observing him, examining his every feature. He then held the man’s wrist up as if he were looking for another tattoo.