◇TWO◇

Months

I had been in here for months.

At least 3.

Dad never came back.

It was just Summer and I stuck in here .

The outhouse was getting full. We were nearly out of canned good and MRE's. The electricity had cut out a month ago. Water was now limited. And Summer was running out of insulin.

And I Summer didn't have insulin, she would die.

There was no way we could stay here any longer.

When everything was happening, we had about 2 days left of phone service. Then it crashed. TV was 1 week. Then it went down to.

It was a virus. And it was everywhere. People eating people. If your bit or scratched, you get infected. The News stations cautioned everyone to lock the doors and stay inside, before the cameras went black.

The radios haven't worked...no signal for anything.

We were completely isolated.

I stood from the table I sat at and carried my candle to the bed and sat it on the nightstand.

Summer's candle was lit on her nightstand as she laid, trying to read To Kill A Mockingbird for the 5th time.

I laid down and looked over at her. We had grown close over the last 3 months. She wasn't as bad as she had seemed to be at first. I like to think that since I entered her life, she grew much more of a deep personality.

"How are you doing on insulin?" I asked her quietly in the darkness.

We had been stuck in the dark for over 2 months now.

"Low" she said sullenly "I'm going to die Sequoia"

I sat up slightly "Don't say that, I will go get more. We will figure it out" I said.

"No, Sequoia, these infected braindead people are everywhere , the risk is to high" she stressed.

"We're going to have to eventually...we haven't seen daylight in months...just candlelight...we are running out of all our resources. We just can't stay here any longer"

Summer stared at me for a moment before looking away "I won't make it" she stated simply.

"Quit saying that, I need you Summer, we will figure it out" I said reassuringly.

We had to. I couldn't do this alone.

She seem d to become depressed very quickly.
I couldn't blame her, it was hard not to be. It took everything in me to keep my head above water.

We blew out our candles and both curled up in our beds, saying our goodnights as we fell asleep.

Who knew it would be the last night I stayed here.

9 AM Next Morning

I heard her before I saw her. She scuffled around near the bathroom and I furrowed my brows as I grabbed a flashlight and threw on my black robe.

I got out of bed slowly when I heard her moaning oddly "Summer?" I called out, furrowing my brow at the lack of response. I saw her suddenly as she appeared in front of the bathroom door, blood all down her arms.

She had sliced her arms open.

I gaped in despair, eyes clouding with heavy tears. I covered my mouth and backed away, searching for something in the dark to defend myself. I knew a pistol was in here somewhere.