Realization hurts like a bitch...

Chapter 18

 Realization hurts like a bitch…

*********************************************************************

(Third person POV)

Jade ran as fast as she could, dodging the branches and trees like a pro. She was running out of breath and felt her lungs burn from the lack of oxygen in them but she didn’t dare stop. She knew as soon as Chris realized that she wasn’t there anymore, he would catch up to her in a matter of seconds. Her only chance of escaping was until Chris didn’t know about her absence.

She had no idea where she was going or if even the direction she was running in was right or not. She just needed to get away from here as far as possible. While running she glanced up at the sky. She only had a couple of hours before it would start getting dark. She had to break through the forest before the sun set.

*********************************

Chris hummed an incoherent tune as he prepared Jade's favorite chicken sandwiches. Even though it had only been a matter of weeks, Chris and Jade were close as if they’d known each other forever. To Chris, Jade was just like the little sister he never had. She reminded him so much of Dylan's sister Charlotte.

He sort of always had a crush on her and he was pretty sure she liked him too, but she was way too stubborn for her own good. She wanted to live her life on her own terms. She wasn’t the type to settle down and have a family. She enjoyed her freedom and independence way more than she should. Chris loved her like no other person could love her. If she would say sit down in the middle of the road, he would be more than happy to oblige. He knew that charlotte loved him too, but not enough. Not enough to give up her freedom and independence.

Chris sighed and shook his head roughly.

God I miss her so much.

Chris thought. It had been 18 years since he last saw her. She would always text him telling him that she was moving to a different country. Charlotte loved photography and designing. Last year he got a text saying that she had moved to Italy and was dating some Italian guy named Peirce.

Chris glanced at the wall clock that was hanging at the entrance of the kitchen and saw that it had been almost an hour. His eyes widen and he hurriedly grabbed the glass of orange juice and plate in which the sandwiches were and dashed out of the kitchen. Chris shook his head at himself. Jade was sitting there in the garden waiting for him and here he was, lost in a story like a damn teenage girl with a crush on someone impossible to get. He huffed loudly and made his way out into the garden with his vampire speed.

He stopped when he reached the garden and started walking because the juice in the glass was threatening to spill with his vampire speed. Finally he reached the spot where Jade was and frowned. Jade wasn’t there anymore. He sighed.

She probably went inside wondering why I was talking so long…

Chris thought and made his way back into he mansion with the determination to find Jade. He looked around all the places where she could be and started getting a feeling of uneasiness when he couldn’t find her. All too soon he ditched the juice and the sandwiches on the kitchen island and started searching for Jade with his vampire speed.

After 15 minutes, he was damn sure that she wasn’t in the mansion. A feeling of panic and dread settled in when he realized that Jade must’ve ran away. It was dangerous out there for her. She couldn’t be out there all alone with all those…

He shook his head getting rid of all the negative thoughts and dashed towards Dylan's room. On the way there, he couldn’t help but feel hurt at Jade's actions. He cared about her just like he would for his little sister, loved her and she didn’t even think what would he feel when he would find that she ran away. Chris knew that somewhere along the lines, Jade wasn’t wrong herself. Any girl in her place would do the same after going through what she went. Jade had no choice but to trust Chris, to become his friend. She was forced to do so. He couldn’t really blame her for her actions.