Meeting the devil

Chapter 4

 *************************************************************************************

 Meeting the devil

 Running downstairs I pulled my hair into a high messy ponytail. I slipped on my running shoes incase I had to run and zipped up my jacket. Grabbing the car keys from the key holder beside the front door I silently slipped out the house. When I got in the car I took a few deep breaths, bracing myself. Pulling the car out of the driveway, I sped towards the forest.

 Once there I realized that if I let the situation sink in that I was alone in the middle of a creepy forest to return the necklace which was dangling around my neck, I would lose the adrenaline that was currently flowing through my veins and would pass out. So without thinking anything else, I grabbed the emergency flashlight from the glove compartment, got out of the car and ran towards the direction of the cave.

About 25 minutes later, I was completely lost and terrified. I would occasionally hear the snapping of twigs and branches behind me indicating that somebody was following me but every time I turned around, I would meet with thin air. About an hour later, when I couldn’t take it anymore and was one the verge of breaking down into tears, I heard a larger than usual twig snap to my left. I whipped my head in that direction so fast, I was surprised I didn’t get a whiplash. I gulped and once again started walking in a random direction when i heard growling. Without any second thought i dashed towards the opposite direction I was heading. I could clearly hear the heavy thumping of something following me but i wasn't one of those cheesy movie girls that would turn and look behind them while running and end up being someone's barbeque.

i tried to push my legs harder when i felt the thing closing in on me. Finally when my legs were about to give up and almost peeing myself to death from being scared as hell, I found the familiar slope which me and Cam had climbed earlier in that day. When i reached the slope I realized that everything around me was eerily silent. Whatever thing that was chasing me was long gone.

With my poor heart ramming in my chest I climbed the slope and found myself standing again at the entrance of the cursed cave. I half expected it to be collapsed by now. This time, instead of sunlight, the place was lit up by unusally bright moonlight and the arch of the trees and the entrance of the cave looked scarier than the world’s oldest graveyard. The place seemed so scary that I considered backing out right then and there. I glanced at the pendant dangling in my neck and noticed that it was glowing a dim blue in the moonlight. I took deep breaths to calm myself. The glowing of the pendant without any reason isn’t creepy at all right?

 There’s no going back. If I can make this far, then I can definitely do it.

I entered the cave with wobbling legs and a thrumming heart. Every wall of the cave looked pitch black and whenever I would point my flashlight on it, I would see creepy shadows dancing. Clenching my teeth tightly and squeezing the flashlight in my hands, I kept walking. The flashlight slipped twice from  my hands because they were clammy. When it happend the third time, I cursed loudly and bent to pick it up. My heart leaped out of my chest when my eyes landed on a torso of a man with black shoes stading no more than a feet away from me. I let out a "eeeekkkkk" and with lightning speed I snatched the flashlight from the ground and glanced around.

 Nothing.

 There was nothing around me. Or rather no one .

 When I reached the open space of the cave, I was surprised to find that the moonlight lit up the entire cave and more freaked out to see that the torches in the cave were lit up to the point that I didn’t need my own flashlight. Voilent shivers ran up and down my body that there was a possibility of something really evil residing in this cave right this instant. With a soft click I switched my flashlight off and looked around. Everything seemed normal just the way it was before except the freaky lit torches.