Chapter 18 - Shinobi from the Mist - Part 1

A/N: Okay so let's take a journey to the past!!! XD be sure to read the little explanatory note after the chapter ^_^ Also, please excuse any spelling errors you may find in here as you read. I can't always catch everything ^^;;;

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Years Ago…

“Another solo mission, Ryu?” Shizuku, a fellow Kiri-nin asked as she fitted her silver arm guards in preparation of another day “I swear; you’re such a workaholic.” She shook her head with a smile.

Ryu sighed, racking a hand through his long, dark locks; trying to wake up fully to the day. “You always say that.”

Shizuku pulled her silver hair up, working it into a loose bun with a chuckle. “And people think I don’t have a social life? You’re going to run yourself into the ground with all of these solos one of these days. It’d be even worse if you happened to do so while on the job. It could be the end of you.” She half-heartedly joked, truly fearful for Ryu’s well-being. He had been taking on solos for close to four months now, and it had her worried.

Ryu looked away with the frown of a scolded child, his face a bit pink. “I don’t need you telling me what is and isn’t good for me, Shizuku. I know my body better than you do.”

The woman quirked a suggestive brow as she leaned forward on the bed with a tilted head and arms crossed. “Is that so? Hm, well I guess after nearly five years you’d think I’d have every part of you memorized.”

Ryu’s face went completely red now, with the look of complete and utter surprise of his lover’s bluntness. He was quite speechless. Shizuku let out a loud laugh.

“Aw, did I embarrass you, Love?”

“I gotta get ready now.” He threw the covers off his naked body and stalked into the bathroom with a light slam of the door in his childish tantrum; all the while Shizuku was giggling.

When he emerged with his Hunter uniform of Kirigakure, hair hanging wildly around his face, neck, and shoulder, and his white porcelain mask resting against the left side of his face, Shizuku was gone. He figured as much, as he slid his mask to cover his face. They had very busy schedules; especially her, since recently she was breaking in new recruits to the branch they both worked under. Her recent days had consisted of classroom work and field drilling. He on the other hand…

He was quick to leave the apartment he and Shizuku shared, not being seen by a single soul. He finally made his way into the headquarters of Kirigakure’s Anbu Corp, passing many others along his route to the mission hall for his final briefing before he was to set out.

“Right on time, as usual.” The head of the Hunter Department spoke, his face covered by a mask with three purple waves across its front.

Ryu nodded, his own simple painted mask looking back with its two blue waves lining the upper cheek bones before seeming to fall from the eyes like tears all the way down to just under his chin. “Tsume, reporting in for the final briefing.” He spoke in a professional tone with his codename given to his superior.

“I take it you’re not planning to settle down?” The man behind his desk sighed. It had been a topic brought up between the two over the past few weeks, being that they were friends, before superior and subordinate. “I can’t believe she has put up with your attitude for so long.” He chuckled.

“Well, actually…It’s supposed to be a surprise, but…” Ryu was hesitant.

“Aw, come on. Don’t say something and not finish. Ryu, come on, we’ve been best friends since we both became Chunin.”