Chapter 17: Water Style Escape - The Aftermath

A/N: Super sorry for the crazy long wait! The chapter after this one is already in the works so there shouldn't be a long wait like the last one--promise! Thanks for reading and fanning and putting up with me! You all are great!

_______________________________________________________________

The coughs continued to escape her as the she ran down the smoke filled halls. She could hear the screams of pain and anger behind her, but she didn’t hesitate to make her get-away, making a mental note,

‘Okay, so my explosive tags do work in this world.’

Sakura had only planned on using them as nothing more than a possible distraction to Kadou and his group, hoping to fake them out and force them to put distance between her and Sai; during which at that time were not doing well given the number ratio. The four tagged kunai had done their initial job by making the four fan out, but as soon as they had hit, the paper lit up, much to her and Sai’s surprise. She and Sai had become separated during the explosions with Sai making it up most of the steps, and her being forced back into the dark hallways of the ship.

‘Exit…Come on, find another exit!’

Her ears picked up on the sound of metal slicing through the air not far behind her, and she turned down a different hallway with the sounds of daggers striking against the metal walls and piping of the vessel. She skid to a halt when the hall lead to a large, machine and crate filled cargo room. It seemed to her that she was now in the heart of the ship, and very lost to boot, not to mention that her previous attack had caused the ship to be lit on fire. So now, time was of the essence. That was, if she didn’t want to potentially go down with the ship. She looked in every direction, hoping to find some sort of window or opening to escape out into the open air and get away from the burning ship.

She felt a sudden breeze from behind and she twisted out of a sharp blade’s way, jumping back a few paces away from the pale skinned arm of Tsukino, whose eyes were lit ablaze in her anger and frustration. She then ducked down, throwing out a leg to try and throw Daichi off his feet after he had followed up from behind his comrade’s first attack. Daichi sprang back in a back hand spring, his feet meeting just under Sakura’s chin. A pained grunt left her as she flew back and landed on her back, sliding back a few paces. She gritted her teeth and her squinted eyes widened in an urgency to get away when a heeled foot came down from above. She rolled away and spun on her hands, landing a kick to the older kunoichi’s mid-section, with a last minute decision to try and add chakra to the kick. If she could injure the already battered woman, then she might have a better chance to get away.

There was still Daichi to take care of though; a nice punch to her face was more than enough reminder of him. It was hard to come up with a plan though when it was two on one—both working in sync despite the obvious tension in their group—and also when she was at such a chakra disadvantage due to the circumstance, but then again, so were the two she was fighting. It was made especially clear, when she found the two to favor taijutsu only against her, but it was that thought, as she continued to fight, that jinxed her.

Tsukino tossed a dagger high up into the air as she quickly formed hand signs, “Ninja Art: Crescent Moon Slash!”

A bright beam of light filled Sakura’s widened eyes of surprise, and she hastily ducked behind a wall of crates, landing roughly on her stomach as a single, blue beam, cut through the air. At first it didn’t appear to be anything but a light brushing against the tops of crates and a few of the small operating machines, but as soon as it disappeared, everything the light had touched, slid to one side, breaking and crashing to the ground. Sakura brought her hands over her head to shield herself of the debris caused by the attack. It was so crazy to her. Didn’t they understand the uncertainty and risk there was in using their chakra in the alien world to such an extent where it seemed the laws of chakra were distorted and very much unknown?!