twenty three.

Arabella Easton

I dug my feet into the soft sand and watched the boys dive into the salty blue waves. I placed a towel on the ground and sat on top. I whipped out an apple and shuffled through my bag to pull out my journal, along with my pen. I opened directly to my unfinished drawing of a cigarette, and drew on some finishing touches. I wiggled my pen back and fourth on the paper to reveal broken hearted lyrics. I looked back up from my journal to witness Brandon tossing his hair off his forehead while being attacked by Zion with water. He had realized that I was looking towards his direction once he stopped Zion's splashing. He threw me a playful wink before Nick came crashing down onto him as he hit the water. I dug my face back into my journal to hide my red cheeks.

"Yo Ara," Edwin said. I peeked out of my notebook to see Edwin sitting right next to me, eating my apple. "You just gunna stare at Brandon all day or-"

"I wasn't staring!" I exclaimed, grabbing my apple out of Edwin's hand.

"Mkay," he smirked. I took a bite of the apple and placed it back on his palm.

"Besides, I have better things to look at."

"Whatever you say Easton." Edwin continued eating my apple as Brandon approached us. He stood in front of me with his hand out while I looked up at his dripping wet body. I could've sworn he said something, but I was too mesmerized by the sun hitting his skin so perfectly.

"Ara? Towel please," Brandon laughed. I shook myself out of my thoughts are threw his towel at him. "You sure do love to stare."

"I wasn't staring!" I repeated.

"Mhm," Edwin murmured, finishing off my apple. I rolled my eyes and tucked my journal under my leg.

"You should actually touch the water, you know... swim," Brandon smiled, rubbing the towel through his hair.

"Yeah yeah," I replied. I stood up and took off my oversized button up and tossed my glasses to Edwin. I slowly made my way towards the water and submerged my legs in the cold liquid. I took in the smell of the salt until I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and crash my body into the cold water.

"Holy shit," I breathed, wiping the water off my face. In front of me held Nick's smile cheekily staring down at me. "Nick what was that for?"

"You're way too slow ma," Nick chuckled, swimming away.

"Come back here you butthole Carter Mara," I laughed, chasing after Nick.

. . .

It was 2 A.M. when I decided to go back into my room. I wasn't tired at all, which allowed me to stay up and write lyrics in the living room. I eventually got tired of it, so I quietly tip toed back into my room. I carefully creeped open the door to see Brandon laying on the perfectly folded sheets. In his hand held his tangled chains, and I watched as his fingers moved slowly to solve the puzzle.

"Why are you still awake?" I questioned, closing our room door behind me.

"I don't know," Brandon softly answered. His eyes were stuck apon the accessories as he kept twisting the inches of metal.

"You should sleep now," I replied, slipping myself into the sheets. Brandon looked back at me and placed the bunch of necklaces on his night stand.

"So how you been Easton?"

"Brandon go to sle-"

"I know you're not tired. Trust me I'm not either." I glanced at him and rubbed my arm.

"I've been doing fine Brandon," I answered. Brandon smiled at me as the wind outside the window kept it's pace. The open blinds caused the moon to reflect on his perfectly shaped face. My eyes ran all over him as I felt his presence move closer to me a bit more.

"You sure do love to stare," Brandon beamed, breaking the uncomfortable silence. I quickly looked away from him. Brandon placed his hand on my jaw and turned my head towards his own. He softly ran his thumb against my cheek as my breath hitched. His touch was comforting and I loved every single bit of it. I watched as Brandon began to close the gap between us. Our lips were only moments away from each other and I could feel his warm breath against my face. My eyes slowly came to a close as I leaned into Brandon's lips. The moment seemed too in place to pass up. All of a sudden, I felt Brandon's face jerk away from mine. My lips fell onto the cold air of the room as I caught myself from leaning too far front. "You fell for me huh?" Brandon smirked, raising my chin with his finger.

"Brandon that wasn't funny," I retorted, getting out of the sheets. I stood up and headed straight for the door.

"Arabella," Brandon called. He slipped himself out of his position and reached for my hands. I turned around as he placed my hands on his chest. "Don't be mad baby, you can kiss me anytime you want," he whispered into my ear. He tugged me into his chest and leaned down. His soft lips collided with my own as his hands squeezed my waist. Brandon still tugged at my lips for more, but I slowly pulled away. He rested his forehead against mine, as we took in each other's presences. I looked up at him and his eyes were still softly closed. His forehead still rested against mine as I admired his carved facial features.

"I-I'm sorry," I stuttered, moving my arm off his chest. Brandon did nothing but remain in his position.

"Nothing to be sorry about," Brandon let out. He finally lifted his forehead off of mine and opened his eyes. He caressed my cheek with his hand as I placed my own on top of his. "Ara please let me love you," Brandon whispered into my ear. His voice sent me shivers down my spine as I took in his deep demeanor.

"I can't just let you back in," I said, moving him off of me. I walked straight in front of the window that lit up our room. Brandon came behind me and ran his fingers slowly down my arms. The open blinds caused shadowed lines across my face as Brandon watched my every move.

"What are you so afraid of? I'm right here. We have a connection and I know you feel it," Brandon sighed.

"I have nothing to be scared of so don't give me that excuse."

"Then why won't you let me in? Why won't you give yourself what you want?" Brandon questioned, lifting his hands off of my body. I tilted my head as I turned around to face him.

"I don't know what I want anymore Brandon." His eyes studied my face at the sound of my words. I sucked in my tears as hard as I could, but I couldn't handle the feeling. A clear droplet of water traveled down my cheek and rolled onto my chest. Brandon cupped my face and placed a gentle kiss on my lips once more.

"I'll wait."