Chapter 50: The New Asgard

Days later, Sigyn arrived from the Bifrost on Earth. She landed on the hills overlooking a little town by the sea. It was dull, quiet and grey. A big step down from a grand castle, but it was better than having no place to call home then the Swedish government was kind enough to grant them this piece of land.

Sigyn glided down the hill towards the small town adorning a black coat detailed with fur, her white hair was decorated with complicated braids. 

The people of Asgard came to gather as Sigyn approached. Relief filled them seeing their princess again. "Lady Sigyn!" they greeted her as she came between them with a smile. "She's our Queen, now!"

"I'm glad to see you are all safe." she says returning their gesture. Brunnhilde gently made her way past the small crowd of people and smiled wildly seeing the familiar white hair of Sigyn once more. 

"Brunnhilde!" they enveloped each other in a tight hug. Brunnhilde leant back and said, "So I hear you're Queen of Vanaheim now?"

"... Yes." sighed Sigyn. "my brother stole the throne and my father was unfit to any longer."

"We understand." replied Brunnhilde looking around at the people around them. "There's not much to rule here anymore. The realms need you more." 

Sigyn perked a small smile and asked, "Any idea to the whereabouts of Thor?" 

Brunnhilde pointed to the little wooden house atop of the hill. "He's not exactly... coping."

"I wouldn't believe he would." Sigyn followed Brunnhilde closely as she led her up the makeshift stairs to the house. 

"He's barely been outside." 

Sigyn hummed in response as Brunnhilde freely opened the door to the house to a short hallway. It was an empty cold house as Sigyn came into a small living room where Korg and Miek sat lounging on a couch. 

"Hello!" piped Korg happily. "Great to see you again."

"Likewise." replied Sigyn.

"Where is Thor?" Brunnhilde demanded an answer. 

"Out back." Korg motioned down the hallway. Sigyn and Brunnhilde marched down the hall, through a tiny kitchen and to a back door. They came outside to see no one there. 

"Thor!" called Brunnhilde and rounded the side of the house. There they found him standing over looking the small village and the vast ocean. Brunnhilde came to his side and said softly, "You didn't see the Bifrost." 

"I did." he replied. 

"Well?" Brunnhilde raised her eyebrows. Sigyn approached Thor's other side and placed a gentle hand on his arm. 

"Thor, are you alright?"

"I told you they were fine." he motioned to the town. "All was well. Nothing to worry about. You're Queen now?"

"... I am."

Thor erupted with laughter. "That's wonderful. I'm King and you are a Queen. It's always what you wanted, right?"

"It's never what I wanted." 

"No, it's what Loki always wanted-"

"Enough." growled Sigyn. "Thor, this needs to stop. Stop dwelling in your own self pity, your people need you now more than ever and sulking up here isn't going to help them." 

Thor took in a deep breath and exhaled a shaky breath. "I'm sorry... I truly am." 

"What was the last time you slept properly?" 

Thor shrugged in response and Sigyn casted Brunnhilde the same look of concern.  "How are you not grieving?" asked Thor. "You've always... Loki was... you've always truly loved my brother, and he loved you. How are you not grieving?"

"You don't think I am!" she pushed him angrily aside and he stumbled. "You don't think that I don't miss for one day, that there's not a moment that goes by where I don't think about him!? I am a Queen now, Thor. I have a duty to my people and the nine realms-"

"Eight realms now." he corrected.

"Nine realms." Sigyn repeated firmly. "Asgard still lives, does it not?" 

Brunnhilde awkwardly looked between Thor and Sigyn slightly amused. Sigyn sighed heavily and fixed her sleeves. "I came here to tell you something wonderful, Thor. Now I don't know if you're ready to hear it." 

Thor's two different coloured eyes peered down into her bright blue eyes and concern filled his chest. "What is it?"

Sigyn nervously held her hands in front of herself and said, "I'm with child."

Thor nodded before he paused. His different coloured eyes roamed the fields behind her thinking. He blinked unable to comprehended what she said. Sigyn raised her eyebrows expecting a reaction.

Thor took in a breath and ran a hand over his chin. "You're... are you certain?"

"Yes, Thor. I'm certain."

Brunnhilde laughed with joy placing a hand on Sigyn's shoulder, "This amazing news. I congratulate you."

"Thank you." she smiled.

"When did this..." Thor was still unable to come to terms.

"Some time in Sakaar or on Asgard before you arrived. Not quiet sure."

Thor cried and tears finally slipped down his cheek. "This is wonderful." he brought Sigyn into his arms and cried on her shoulder. Sigyn chuckled and patted his back allowing him to cry. "This is wonderful!" he sobbed before releasing Sigyn and raised his hands to the cloudy sky. "You always seem to surprise me, brother!"

The smile faded from Sigyn and she realised something. Thor was taking his death harder than she had thought. Brunnhilde was right, he wasn't coping. She placed a hand on his arm as he dropped and he continued to sob.

"Thor, its alright."

"I can't say how happy I am. It may not seem like it, but these..." he motioned to his eyes. "These are happy tears." and more tears spilled down his face. "They really are." he hiccuped.

"Why don't you go inside and lay down for awhile. I have other business to take care of here."

"I'm fine." he scoffed and took in a breath.

"Go inside." she ushered. "I have important business that does not concern you. I will come by later."

"Where are you going?" he asked with a hiccup. "this is a time of celebration. I will put together a feast!"

"No!" she said firmly. "There's no need. You need all the supplies you can get. Don't waste it on me, please. I'll be visiting the avengers HQ, I'll be back shortly. I promise."

Thor nodded and sniffled. He obeyed Sigyn and headed towards his house on the hill. Sigyn watched as he climbed the hill and entered into his little house before turning to Brunnhilde and asking,

"Come with me." 

Brunnhilde furrowed her eyebrows confused, "Where?"

"You'll see."