Chapter 47: Brothers and Sisters Will Defile Kinship

"No." Sigvard growled and stood. Fashioning his own short sword. "The throne belongs to me by birthright!"

"You should have thought of that before you murdered Baldur!" Sigyn shouted back.

"You'll have to kill me then." Sigvard shrugged with a wicked smile.

"So be it."

Sigvard was first to lash out. He swung his short blade over Sigyn's head causing her to role to the side as he skipped down the steps. Sigyn retaliated and collided one end of her spear to his blade. They clashed as they skilfully danced around each other.

"The throne doesn't belong to you!" Sigvard shouted with rage and he wildly swung his blade. Sigyn merely blocked his attacks before she kicked her foot out and slammed into his chest. Sigvard fell back and quickly rolled as Sigyn's spear embedded into the marble floor cracking the tiles.

Sigyn swung around on her spear and landed her foot across Sigvard's face. His head rolled back as Sigyn pulled her spear free. Sigvard yelled with anger and wildly swung his sword back and forth, driving Sigyn back towards the throne.

Sigyn's eyes widened with fear as Sigvard's sword swung by her stomach as she made every effort to avoid it.

Sigvard paused for a moment. "No... Don't tell me?"

Sigyn stared down her brother, their mother's chocolate brown eyes stared back. "Killing you would be more fun."

Sigyn ducked under his wild attacks and swept his feet from under him with her weapon. Sigvard's back collided with the tiles with a heavy smack. He coughed for air as Sigyn stepped back.

"Give up the throne."

"It doesn't... belong to you...." Sigvard coughed as he regained his breath.

"Do you think I want this!?" Sigyn shouted. "I have lost everything! The last thing I want is to sit on that throne!"

"Then don't." Sigvard stumbled to his feet.

"I cannot allow you to rule, brother." Sigyn circled him. "You are a traitorous murderer who has been deemed unfit to rule."

Sigvard yelled as he slipped a hidden dagger out. He tackled her to the ground as they went into a role and threw Sigyn's spear from her hand. Sigyn kicked her brother from atop of her before he had the chance to slit her throat.

From the crevices and doorways that surrounded the throne room, warriors, handmaidens and servants began to creep out in curiosity to watch the fight. The warriors quickly leapt into action, ready to aid Lady Sigyn.

"Stay back!" Sigyn ordered. "This is my fight."

The warriors stood in the arched doorways as commanded. Sigvard shouted craized, "No, what are you doing?! Attack her! I am your king, you will obey me!"

"You are no king here!" a warrior shouted, enraging Sigvard further. He threw his dagger at Sigyn, but she dove out of the way. She hoisted her spear up as Sigvard ran towards her yelling nonsense. She propelled her spear forward and it pierced his chest.

The people all froze and their breath hitched in their throats.

Sigvard stopped in his tracks, his brown eyes wide with shock. He coughed looking down at the spear that impaled his chest. Blood trickled from the corners of mouth as his sword fell from his hand and clanked to the floor.

He then fell to his knee's. "S... sister?"

Sigyn chocked back a cry. For as long as she imagined killing him for the sins he committed, for the death Narvi, she never imagined it would feel like this. She stumbled forward and gripped the handle of her spear and pulled it from her brothers chest. Sigvard cried with pain as he fell back. A pool of blood surrounding him on the tiled floor and blue carpet.

Sigyn let her weapon fall to the marble floor as she fell beside her brother who gasped for air.

"I'm sorry, brother." She cried. "But you left me no choice."

"No." Sigvard chocked. "I am sorry. For everything. After all... you are my little sister, and I love you."

Without warning, in one final attempt, Sigvard drew a blade aiming for her stomach but Sigyn was quick enough to catch his arm, twist the blade from his and drive it into his own.

Sigvard's eyes turned dark before he finally fell limp.

Sigyn took one last look at her now dead brother. His eyes still open, but held no emotion. This small battle had been won. But terribly.