Part 21: Chubby girl and popular hot guy. What a match!

Abby's POV       

I could feel the April sun on my skin and the warm of his hand in mine. He was laughing at something, I'm not sure at what. But, his eyes shone and I felt happiness expanding in my heart. He looked at me then, his eyes full of love. He loved me, and I loved him. I had passed the phase where I felt that this couldn't be true. I felt sure of his feelings now. He was mine.

“What are you thinking of, Abby?” he asked me and placed a light caress with the tips of his fingers on my forehead as if trying to touch my thoughts. I closed my eyes and smiled.

“I was thinking about the weather” I lied, a white lie. A silly lie that didn't matter. He smiled at my answer. I liked how his perfect smile wrinkled his eyes a little.

“Don't worry about that, babe. It won't rain, I promise” he said hugging me tight. I could smell him now. His clean scent of soap and cologne mixed with the unique smell of his skin… Vanilla. I rested my face on his chest and inhaled deeply. His chest broadened, he had done the same, or was he sighing?

I looked up to see him and his face was so close so fast that it startled me a little. He grinned and leaned in to kiss me, I closed my eyes and… nothing. I opened my eyes and I was awake. I had been dreaming again.

It had been five years and I still dreamt of that boy who stole my heart and never quiet gave it back. I looked at the clock on my bedside table. I looked at the time and then I closed my eyes and sighed.

I still remembered that morning. I had opened my eyes before the alarm clock went off, just like today; I turned over and saw that it was almost five. It was way too early for getting up on a Saturday. Why had I woken up? And then I had heard some noises, the sounds were muffled but I could distinguish voices and… someone crying?

I immediately sat up, put on my slippers and rushed from my room. I thought that it was my mom but when I got into her bedroom I found her sleeping.

“Mom? Are you alright?” I asked into the silent room and my mom stirred and turned over.

“Abby? Honey? What are you doing up so early?” She said sitting up.

“I heard some noises, I thought it was you. Sorry for waking you up.” She had got out of bed and was by my side. I was about to return to my room when we heard a loud cry, it had been definitely a cry. I took my mom’s arm, I still don’t know why, and started walking to the living room.

The only light in the living room came from a lamp; the room would have been dark if it hadn’t been for that yellow light. I saw Mr. Brown holding Jessica who was crying non-stop. Her back went up in shaky sobs while Mr. Brown held her and tried to soothe her with words I couldn’t listen. They were both sitting on one of the sofas, and Danny was standing next to them with a phone in his hand. I took it all in not knowing what to make up from what I was seeing.

“What am I going to do without him, dad?” Jessica cried breaking the silence with a strangled voice.

“I know, sweetheart. I know…” Mr. Brown said patting her back and caressing her hair. I didn’t know what was happening, but a feeling started building in my chest. I could still feel my legs trembling under my body whenever I remembered what had come next.

“Danny…” I started, and he looked up as if startled by my voice. He shook his head as if he had been in a sort of trance and was coming back to reality. He looked at me and walked up. As soon as he was near he brought me into a hug. I know now that he was trying to get the courage to tell me the news.

“Sweetie… oh Abby, I don’t know how to tell you this.” He whispered “Will was in an accident last night, he… I’m so sorry, sweetie.” At first I didn’t react. I closed my eyes and started thinking that if I pretended I hadn’t heard him then it wasn’t true. It couldn’t be true!

“No…” was all I could master to say. I couldn’t feel my body, I couldn’t move.

“Will! Oh, dad… I loved him. I really did. I loved him!” Jessica cried and for the first time in my life I had the certainty that we were feeling the same.

The alarm brought me back to the present; I got out of bed wiping the tears from my eyes. It was enough for one morning. I had classes at university so I got a quick shower, threw some clothes on and got out of my apartment to take the bus. Sometimes, Danny would give me a ride. But, he was not in the city.

I had moved to Massachusetts almost a year ago when I got into Harvard. I lived in a small, but cozy, apartment near the university which viewed a park. I liked the weather here, and how -after a year- I still found new places to hang out whenever I had some free time.

College was tough, but it was exciting and fulfilling altogether. And, even though I had lived in Florida all my life and my mom wasn’t with me, I didn’t feel alone. I talked to her every day. Also, I had made some friends over here. It was great being surrounded by smart people who didn’t judge you for your appearance or your background.

To top it all, Danny had moved to Cambridge a little after I did. He had started managing his father’s branch in Massachusetts, so I got to see him almost every day.

He had become my best friend, once more, after Will passed away. He had been my rock, he had held me when I fell apart and he was still around after all this time. I remembered not being able to show my feelings around people; Jessica had been the girlfriend, not me. And, whenever I had felt like I couldn’t take it anymore, Danny would take me in his car and would drive without stopping until I was done crying. He wouldn’t say anything, he would just drive.

I had Torts all morning, the professor was very demanding and I quiet liked it. After a busy morning in class we had the afternoon free because of the arrival of the first years. And I was planning on starting some research for next week’s presentation. I walked out of the classroom with Alan Rottiers, we were talking about this week’s case that was all over the news and how we would love to be first chair.

When we were out of the building we saw the new students in line to register and get their info for the semester. Some of them had their luggage and looked kind of lost. I stayed to watch and Alan said goodbye and left with a girl. And I was left standing with my books on the sidewalk. It was interesting to watch them and think that I had been there in line just a year ago.

My cellphone started ringing, maybe it was my mom. When I tried to open my bag to get my phone I dropped my books.

“Oh, God!” I said and was going to pick them when a guy from the line of new students came and grabbed them all in one move.

“Thanks” I said and answered my phone that had kept on ringing all along.

“Hello, sweetie” I heard Danny’s voice say “I’m about to arrive, do you want to have dinner with me?”

“Sure” I answered. I hanged up a couple of minutes later and headed to the library.