Family

Five

Keeping my eyes on my two angels sleeping soundly on my bed, I couldn't help feeling like floating on cloud nine. The feeling is just so surreal and I know it's only because everything I dream is here now. Honestly, I couldn't even believe that it's all real.

"Hey?" Bumangon si Serenity sa kama at tiningnan ako nang may pag-aalalang nakaguhit sa kanyang mata. "Hindi ka natulog?"

I smile at her. "I can't sleep." She gives me a faint smile as she draws to the other side of the bed to sit beside me.

Truth is, I am scared that when I wake up, I might not see her anymore and realize that she is afterall just a beautiful dream.

"I'm sorry." She whispers, having misty eyes that somehow makes my heart twitch in pain. "If something happened to you and Khaleesi last night, I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive myself." She eventually cries so I immediately wipe her tears.

"It's done baby. You are here." My heart pounds fast at my own statement because it validates the fact that she's not just a dream. "Yes, we cannot turn back time but love, we have the present and future, we sure can make up for the lost time in the past. Just promise to stay with me. Promise me you won't ever run away from me again."

Without reluctance, she nods her head and then rests her head on my chest. Automatically, I slide my arms around her shoulders for an embrace.

"I love you, Serene." She looks up to me with those innocent eyes that really caught my attention the very first time we met.

"I love you." She whispers almost silently.

It must be the warmth of her embrace that delivered me to sleep. It's almost twelve at noon when I woke up to peering round brown eyes full of innocence and sweetness.

"Baby." Tawag ko sa anak kong nakatitig lang sa'kin, tahimik na nakaupo sa dulo ng kama. I scoot closer to her and let her sit on my lap. "Where's mama?"

Halos hindi na siya kumukurap, titig na titig siya sa'kin. Itinuro niya nga lang ang pinto upang sagutin ang tanong ko sa kanya kanina.

"I know you're confused right now, moonbeam." I say out of helplessness as I meet her angelic eyes.

"Mama said that you are my papa." Wika niyang labis na nagpakirot ng puso ko sa magkahalong saya at sakit. "You look like me." Aniyang nagpatawa sa'kin ng marahan.

"I sure do. I am your papa, that's why."

"Why are you crying?" She asks in pure innocence. I would have not realized that I did if she hasn't asked. I am too overwhelmed to react or utter a single word especially when she lifts her tiny hand to wipe my tears. "I always caught mama crying too. When dada is asleep, I always wake up seeing her cry."

"Moonbeam, papa will not let mama cry again." Sabi ko sa munting anghel sabay haplos ng maliit niyang mukha. "Hindi na tayo maghihiwalay ulit." Alam kong hindi iyon naintindihan ng bata ngunit kusa iyong lumabas sa bibig ko nang yakapin ko siya.

"Will dada be okay?" Inosenteng tanong niya patungkol kay Alec na iniwan namin sa otoridad kagabi.

"Do you want to see him? Mama and Papa can take you to see him later."

"Dada was sad. He always tells me mama is going to leave him."

Ang kainosentihan niya ay labis na nagpapalambot ng puso ko. Ang mga mata niyang bilugan ay kumikislap at nagungusap.

"Can we see him?" She asks so sweetly and in that moment, I see what the future is like——me never saying no to her, most probably.

"Sure thing, moonbeam." Hinagkan ko sa noo ang anak ko. At sa unang pagkakataon, nakita ko siyang ngumiti ng matamis sa'kin. "You are such a sunshine, little queen."