8. Happy

Serenity

"You know it's my birthday?" I lift my chin to look at him. His gaze, it's sending shivers down my spine. His stare is not cold but it's close to expressionless. I don't know what that is.

"Get in." He says, looking away. I smile at how cute his reaction is. Is he blushing or am I just hallucinating? Instead of listening to him, I hook my hands on the sleeves of his button down polo, smiling while staring at him. "Get inside, Serenity. It's late."

"Please stay."

"What?" Now he looks at me with his cold eyes. I roll my eyes.

"Please. Just watch one movie with me." I plead as sweet as I can.

"No."

"Tsk." Sinimangutan ko siya. "Feeling mo romantic 'yong pa-dinner mo kanina? Hindi mo nga ako kinausap."

"Just get in." He repeats, staring at me more coldly.

"Please. Just one movie."

For about two seconds, he gives me his stare of death and later on drags me inside the unit. Now, I can't blame myself for not being able to suppress my smile.

"What movie would you like to watch with me?" I ask him when I begin browsing on netflix.

"Pick anything." Sagot niya na para bang nabo-bored at walang ganang kausapin ako. Ni hindi man lang ako tiningnan. Ba't kaya? Ang ganda-ganda ko siguro, natatakot siyang magkagusto sa'kin. Hahaha.

"Let's have 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before'."

"What?" He retorts, looking at me with his dagger-stare.

"You just said I can pick anything—"

"Anything that's not a cringey romantic movie."

"Romantic movies aren't cringey!" I protest above my lungs! He can't say that! I love romantic movies and it's how I define life. Life is boring without those cheesy-dreamy-romance films.

"Pick another one." He orders.

"No—"

As soon as I utter the word, he grabs the remote from me and picks a random movie that seems a sci-fi in genre. I look at him, annoyed. When he glances at me and finds out I'm unhappy, he smirks.

"Why don't you want me to be happy?" I ask, pouting.

"Just watch. This is a good film." He returns his eyes on the wide TV screen while I glue my eyes on his annoyingly-handsome face.

"Five Palmer!"

"If you won't watch, I'm going home."

"But I don't like that." I continue to protest.

"You will."

"I won't." I move closer to hug him. He never anticipates me to do it and he seems to be surprised. I take my chance to grab the remote and stop the movie from playing. "Let's watch 'To All the Boys...' Seb and I love this movie and we watch it during my birthday."

" Tsk." He stands up and I never expect what he does next. He unplugs the TV to turn it off.

"Hey!"

"Let's just drive around." He mutters, not looking at me. Well, how can I say no? It's so much better— being alone with him in his car is such a perfect thing. I pick up my pace as he walks really fast with those long legs.

"Mo?" I call out meekly as he starts the engine of the car. He just looks at me, a cue that I have his attention. "Can we go to the Orchestra Heights."