10. Juliet

Five

It's weird. Serenity has not say a thing after I return from the restaurant to get her phone. Even when we arrive back in the condo, she remains silent. I should be thankful. But then, it's strange. Maybe, I'm not used to her being so silent. I am not supposed to walk her to the unit because I have to hurry home but because she acts indifferently, I decide to walk her back to my condo.

"Siri."

She stops immediately as soon as she hears my voice. However, she doesn't look at me.

"Is anything wrong?"

After about a minute or two of an awkward silence, she faces me. I feel suddenly sick for no reason... I see sadness and other tons of emotions in her eyes. She used to be just a little girl to me who doesn't care about the world, who knows nothing except for having fun. I guess, at this moment, I am terribly wrong.

"Sorry." She mumbles, almost a whisper. What is she sorry for? "I should have told you everything, right?"

"Serenity, what are you talking about?"

I just ask that question so I don't get why she just suddenly cries. Tears roll down her cheeks really fast.

"You want to know everything about my life? You could have asked me." Wait. What? Did she- "I feel like I am a criminal right now." She says in a very cute way. I mean, I don't know. It sounds like a sweet child said it when she said it.

"Siri, listen-"

"I'm not angry at you." She whispers. Okay, she's adorable when she's soft-spoken. Her meekness and innocence comes out. "I can never be angry at you. I don't know why. Maybe, it's your face or... it's just simply because you are you."

"If you are not angry, then why are you crying?" I ask thoughtfully. Seeing her cry is something I hate. She's a baby. I mean, she really is one.

"I feel like I'm not worthy of everything you did for me." She answers, staring at me. "I'm sorry."

What she is doing to me right now is weird. I just smile for no reason. I couldn't even find the reason why I hug her.

"You don't have to." Mindlessly, I find myself wiping her tears. "But you should also understand that I'm doing it because you're under my roof."

"I know." She replies and hugs me very tight. "Marry me, mo."

Okay. Forget that I said she's cute and adorable. She is nothing but annoying.

"I'm kidding." She laughs at me after I pull away from her. Like as if she hasn't cried minutes ago, she walks towards the couch and sits on there comfortably. "Now what do you want to know?"

Geez. I can only shake my head.

"Alright. Let me start with... um. My parents." She begins. But then she stops right there for a few seconds. She looks away, away from my sight. "They're gone." Huminga siya ng malalim. "They... the cruise ship they were in years ago sank and... that's how we lost them. Hindi rin nakita ang mga bangkay nila o maging ang cruise ship." She narrates. If I don't see her wiping her cheeks, I won't realize she is crying. My feet feel obliged to be there for her so I join her on the couch. "Don't ever say sorry because... It's almost 18 years ago already. I don't know the feeling of losing them because you see, I never really had them."

While she tells me her story, I just cannot take my eyes off of her. Suddenly, I see a different person—-someone very mature, someone so genuine.

"I grew up with my grandmother." Tears begin spurting out of her eyes again. "She's the best thing in the world." She pauses, her voice trails off. "I miss her a lot." She lifts her eyes to look at me. "Always... Every second of the day."