If You Stumble... Pt.1/3

...Make It Part of the Dance

AKA the fic following The Best Mistake of My Life, because apparently I can't let the soulmate AU go.

-.-.-

In which you ask Steve what your date would look like if you lived the forties. He decides to show you instead.

There are few flaws, holes to see through to glimpse beyond that illusion. But what life would be besides boring if everything was perfect? Perfect dress. Perfect date. Perfect gentleman...?

Works as a standalone too.

-.-.- 

Starring: innocent questions, soft, witty and badass Steve, unfazed Fury, likeable Agent M. and Tony being a surprisingly good bro.

1. Step One

It was an innocent question really or you thought so.

Steve was walking you home after date number seven – officially anyway, with how attached you became to your phone, you might as well say you were on a one never-ending date, only taking a time-out when sleeping –, talking about everything and nothing. You had been bowling, your idea after you had found out he had never played before and yet he handed your ass to you, kissing it better (kissing your loser's pouting better, not your bottom, you still weren't there).

"So... you got a taste of 21st century date. What dates looked like in the late thirties and forties?" you hummed, glancing at him curiously as you walked side by side, hand in hand.

You purposely didn't ask him about dating in 'his time'; despite him telling you he wasn't fully accustomed to 21st century, you couldn't see it 98% of the time. He belonged here as much as he had probably belonged back there.

"Hm..." Steve mused, apparently giving it serious consideration and you smiled for yourself, wondering if he was thinking about an ideal date he would come up with in the past. In the end, he shrugged. "Dancing was popular back in the day. Music and dancing. Going to pictures too."

He fell silent then, not elaborating, seemingly lost in thoughts. You leaned into his arm, guilt settling in your stomach. You hadn't meant to sadden him.

"I'm sorry," you whispered, earning a confused glance. "I didn't want to... poke at sore spot."

He blinked and you could almost hear the wheels turning in his head as he shook it and stopped in his tracks – hence preventing you from continuing your gait too as his fingers were still interlaced with yours. His free hand cupped your cheek and his lips found your forehead first before pecking your own.

"You didn't," he declared, giving you a half-hearted smile. You looked up into his eyes, knowing for sure he wasn't telling the truth, and raised an eyebrow. His smile grew more sincere after that, his thumb stroking your cheek softly. "I promise."

You sighed, but shortly met his lips once more, letting it go and obediently started rambling about your first experience with bowling.

You knew Steve wasn't quite listening, mostly because when you stopped talking, he didn't react. You spent the rest of the walk in silence, him lost in another world and you mentally kicking yourself with vigour, anxiety twisting your insides. You hated you had made Steve brood.

Stupid, stupid woman!

With Steve having been absent-minded for the past few minutes, it took you off guard when you reached your building and he suddenly tugged sharply on your hand, forcing your body to spin, and caught your mouth in searing kiss.