Chapter 18

I read over the three simple words over again with my thumb hovering over my phones keyboard. I wanted to just send a hard 'no' but I also wanted to see what he had to say.

However, before I could type in my answer a new message appeared.

Sk8: meet me for breakfast tomorrow @ 9

And then another.

Sk8: please.

I sighed in defeat and sent a 'k' to make sure he knew I was upset.

I put my phone away and headed inside. All the lights in the house were off, so that means no one is home. It's a Friday night so that means everyone is off at some bar or party. My mom must be pulling an extra shift at the hospital.

I walked into the kitchen to find something to eat but came out empty handed. I got my wallet and headed to the nearest drive thru.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I am standing in front of my closet struggling to find something to wear. 

After about another 20 minutes I decided that I'm overthinking it too much. I mean it's just breakfast, and considering the first time we had breakfast together I was wearing legging and an oversized sweatshirt I don't think it really matters what I'm wearing.

I finally just threw on a pair of denim shorts, a white tank top and a black and white wind breaker. By now I was running a little late so I simply brushed my hair to the side and added a bit of mascara to my lashes.

Now that I was in my car I realized Skate never gave me a location.

Instead of texting him to ask I followed my instincts and ended up in the parking lot of IHOP. While trying to find a spot I was also keeping an eye out for Skates car. Luckily I found an empty spot next to what I'm hoping was his black Audi.

While I was putting my keys in my purse and gathering my stuff someone knocked on my window.

"Hey." I looked out to see Skate standing there with his hands in his pockets looking sheepish. I opened the door and stepped out, he eyed me up and down as I did so.

"Hi." I awkwardly waved back once I was fully out of the car. Skate simply gave me a small smile and walked ahead of me. I was a nervous wreck as I followed behind him while the waitress showed us to our table.

What did he want to talk about? Is he also nervous?

He ordered a simple omelette plate and I got some pancakes. As soon as the waitress left I noticed Skates fingers tapping the surface of the table.

So, he is nervous.

"So, what have you been up to?" I ask him to try and break the tense silence.

"Working." He said while looking everywhere but at me.

"Where do you work?" I asked trying to work around his one word answer.

"Construction."

"Oh that's cool. Do you like it?"

"Mhmm."

I let go of a deep sigh and drop the conversation. The rest of the wait seemed to take forever. I studied Skate while he wasn't looking at me.

My eyes followed a path from his messy hair sticking out under a black cap he had on backwards, to his slightly tired looking eyes. He had a 5 o clock shadow and his red hoodie was wrinkled, as if he slept in it. In fact, it looked like he just jumped out of bed and threw some shoes on.

I looked down at my lap. Why is he acting disinterested and avoiding conversation if he's the one that wanted to talk?

My thinking bubble was popped by a steaming plate of pancakes was set in front of me. "Alright here we go. Let me know if you two need anything else." The peppy waitress said before rushing off to another table.

"You look nice today." Skate told me while he cut into his omelette, not even looking up.

"Thank you." I responded while staring at him, waiting for him to look up.

But he didn't.

He continued to eat, and while we ate in silence he would glance at his phone or stare into his plate. I felt like crying and I don't even know why. To be honest I missed him a lot this last week and it hurt that he didn't bother messaging me back. So I was really excited about having breakfast with him. Now, I wish I would have just stayed in bed and spend my day off marathoning FRIENDS.

I slumped my chin on my wrist with my elbow resting on the table. I slowly ate my pancakes taking extra long dunking the pieces in syrup.

After a dragged out last bite he finally spoke up.

"Okay, we need to talk."

"Oh so now you want to talk?" I say up and crossed my arms trying to look disinterested.

"I wanted to make sure you had your breakfast before you get mad at me." He said while finally making eye contact. That made my anger dissipate just a tiny bit and my curiosity grow.

"Why would I get mad at you?" I ask him keeping eye contact and raising an eyebrow. He held my gaze for a few seconds longer before looking down at his partially empty plate.

"Because I have to break up with you." He casually responded and then took a drink of his orange juice.

"What do you mean 'break up with me?' I didn't realize we were together?" I rack my brain trying to figure out when or why he thinks we were together.

"I know that, but I need to stop whatever this is." He said clenching his jaw. Why is he getting mad?

"This?" I ask motioning between us. "you mean the five minute moment we had a week ago!"

He clenched his jaw and rolled his eyes before roughly standing up.

"Whatever, it has to end. I promised him it wouldn't happen again." He threw a fifty dollar bill on the table before leaving. I continued sitting at the table a little longer, thinking over what just happened.

What did he promise wouldn't happen again?

And who did he promise?