Chapter 16

The next few days mirrored the week before. It was just Rosati and I stuck at the house. I occasionally got glimpses of Lili by the pool, or Nathan walking into the house. So far, no Skate.

In fact, I hadn't heard from him since Tuesday. After I had served Rosati his Mac and cheese I joined him at the dinner table and we talked about plans for the week. He said he wanted to go into town to get a few new books but so far he hasn't gotten motivated.

After, I helped Rosati into bed and passed out his night meds. By the time I got home I passed out before I could respond to Skates messages. I did send him a quick text in the morning, however he hasn't answered.

Anyways, today is Friday and I'm hoping I could get Rosati out of the house for his doctors appointment. He's been asleep all day. 

I looked at my watch and 1:23pm read the time.

Maybe we should start getting ready to go.

I quickly got up from the couch and turned off the TV. I walked into Rosati's room completely forgetting to knock. Luckily he was asleep.

"Wakey wakey. Sleeping beauty you need to get up now." I sang as I walked up to the head of the bed. All I got as a response was light snoring. "Come on Rose you nee-"

Before I could finish that sentence I was hit in the face by a feathered silk pillow. Once I registered what had happened I looked dumbfounded down to see Rosati pulling the covers over his head.

"Come on Rose. You said you wouldn't be a pain about going." I groaned while yanking the covers off him. That was a huge mistake! With the covers gone I found that he was in nothing but a tight pair of boxers.

I'm so relieved that he is sleeping faced down so all I see is his ink clad back and his... um okay at least it's not something else. He groaned and hugged his pillow closer to him. I saw the way his muscles contracted and the tattoos that littered his back seemed to dance with the movement.

He had silhouettes of birds flying from his side and the phases of the moon down his spine. He also had a lot more tiny tattoos scattered around.

"Stop." Rosati's deep sleep filled voice brought me out of my trance. "And I'm not going."

"You said you would go so you're going to go." I reminded him of his promise he had made the day before.

"That's only because I wanted you to make me food." He said still not opening his eyes.

"Please don't make this harder than it has to be. We can stop by the book store after and get those books you were talking about." I tried to bribe him. He opened his eyes and turned around to face me.

"Fine." He said rolling his eyes and swinging his legs around to sit up. I jumped in excitement that that had worked. I quickly pulled a dark grey long sleeved shirt and black joggers off of the closet, I folded them into the wheelchair and made my way back to him.

I locked the wheelchair into place and exited the room so he could change.  He showered the night before so I didn't have to worry about. I went into the kitchen to make sure I had everything ready to go. Not even a minute later Rosati came out of his room and wheeled to the door, I grabbed the appointment folder and went to open the door for him.

He waited by the side of the house while I went to bring the car around. After placing the folder in the glove compartment I  made sure the trunk was clean and I exited the garage.

As I was rounding the corner I saw Rosati talking to someone but with the sun in my eyes I couldn't tell who it was. Stopping in front of him I fished around the center compartment for some sunglasses. Once I found my old pair of thrifted ray bans I got out of the car to see if he was done talking with this person.

Getting to his side of the car I was surprised to see Skate was the person Rosati had been talking with.

"Anyway I have to go now, I'll let you know what he says." Skate closed the conversation and left without a word or glance at me. 

"You ready?" I shook it off and turned to Rosati.

"Yeah." He put himself into position and I helped him hoist into the seat.

The whole ride to Dr.Gett's office was spent in silence. I couldn't help but think that if this had been a week ago it would have been awkward. However, now the silence was actually comfortable and calming.

Rosati had his phone on Bluetooth and was playing some old rock song while he looked out of the window. I stayed focused on navigating the car through the busy LA streets.

Turn into the parking lot I pulled into a spot right away and began assisting Rosati with the chair.

"What are you doing?" Rosati asked me when he turned to see me following him.

"I'm taking you to your appointment?" My answer came out more like a question.

"No, stay in the car." He told me and then continued on.

"But what about the appointment sheet that needs to be filled out?" I called out to him. For every appointment there needs to be a sheet filled out by the doctor.

He turned around and stretched his hand out for the paper. I walked to him and he yanked it out of my hands before proceeding into the building.

I got back in the car and was instantly hit with boredom. All the other sheets say his meetings with Dr. Gett last about 30 minutes. What was I going to do in a car for half an hour?

I stared out the window and did some people watching for a few minutes before I got bored of that. I looked around the car for some form of entertainment when I spotted a sleek black iPhone on the passenger seat.

Rosati's phone.

I carefully picked it up while looking around to see if for any reason he was coming back. When the coast was clear I opened it and was met with the lock screen.

Of course it would be locked. That didn't deter though, I quickly typed in 332000 and it unlocked like magic.

I thought he would be smarter than to put his birthday as his pin but I guess I was wrong. I looked through his apps and noticed he didn't have any social media platforms. He only had Netflix, Hulu, Uber Eats, Amazon, and Spotify along with the default apps.

This brought my mind back to the fact that two years ago he had dropped off the face of the earth to everyone else. No one, not even his best friends, had heard of his whereabouts. He must have cut off all connections to the outside world when the accident happened. I'm still unclear about what the accident had been but I'm certain it must have happened the night of the homecoming party.

Shaking my head clear of these thoughts I opened his Spotify to see what song he had been playing on the ride here since it was pretty catchy. It was Trouble Maker by Weezer, I quickly added it to my playlist and continued scrolling through his. It appears we pretty much have the same taste of music.