chapter 24: The Baby

Mia rushed through the streets, and she sat down on the roof of her old house. She watched the soldiers marching the streets and thought about the war. She was wondering what would happen to her if the Ozai would win or the other nations. After the war, she wondered what she would do. Would she go to her father and siblings, or forget them and go on her own? She realized she was grown up now, and have to make her own choices. 

She felt a cold wind next to her and she saw it was Aang. Without words, Aang grabbed her hand and squeezed a little bit in it. "Are you okay?" He asked quietly. "I don't know Aang... I miss my father," Mia said in a whisper and she looked to the moon that shone brightly above the city," for the first time in 5 years I miss my father. We are getting close to Ba Sing Se, and I really want to see him." Aang smiled. "You will see him, of course. And we could stay as long as you want." He said. Mia smiled. "Maybe I won't even leave." She said and she looked down on the streets. "I could take care for my brothers and sisters, I could have my own tea shop and I will marry a fine man and we would have cute kids."  Aang frowned and he looked to his friend. "You could stay... But I need you to help me win the war. Without your help I won't defeat Ozai and then you won't have your tea shop." 

Mia did not reply to that, so she stood up and said: "I am getting cold, I am going back." When Mia entered the resistance's camp people stared at her. Mia looked around and sat down somewhere in the corner. After that, she did not speak to anyone for she fell in a deep sleep.

~

"Zuko.... Zuko stop," Mia mumbled, "you naughty boy..." Mia smiled brightly and she felt a nice, sucking feeling in her neck, like a sweet kiss. "Zuko.... Stop...." The sucking stopped and Mia opened her eyes. Sokka looked at Mia, pale and with big eyes, holding a purple pentapus in his hand. "Eh, we have this plan.... So, I placed a pentapus in your neck and... and...," Sokka smiled awkwardly, "I will see you later." Sokka walked away and Mia's head was as red as a tomato. "Oh my..." Mia mumbled and she facepalmed herself. She stood up and she walked through the camp. Everyone had pentapus marks on their faces. Pentapox, was the plague called, according to the guards.

The plan was that everyone would get those marks on their faces and act very sick, for the guards would let them leave the city and they would go back to Ba Sing Se or any other villages. Quite a good plan, because it worked. The guards let the gates open, and the resistance marched through, men and women. Mia felt very stupid, but she looked really sick. She had a red spot under her nose thanks to the swiping with her sleeve, and she had hollow cheeks and her eyes laid deep in her head. Her undereye skin was blue and her eyes red. She had a cold, but she was fine. She is always fine. 

The folk strumbled over a hill outside the city. When they walked out of sight, they all act normal. Mia made the campfires and the camp spread over the campfires. Aang came back from Omashu, he was left behind to search Bumi. Unfortunately, he only came back with Flopsy, Bumi's giant pet. Chung walked up to the four and with a frown on his forhead he said: "We've got a little problem." 

"Oh no... Did someone left behind?" Katara asked shocked. "No... Someone joined us." Chung replied and he turned around. A little boy from around two, was holding Momo's tail, while giggling loudly. "A baby?" Mia asked confused. Mia sighed and she walked up to the boy. She placed him between Katara and Sokka and Mia sat down across him. "Oooh, what a cutie are you!" Katara said and she hugged the baby. "He is now... You should see him when he is older. He won't be so cute then. He will fight in the army, he will be trained as a killer." Mia said judging. "Does this look like a killer?" 

Mia raised her eyebrows and shook her head. "Why so you judge so much?" Katara asked. "I am raised by my mother, she adored the Fire Nation. I am raised as a killed. I know where I am talking about Katara." Mia looked to the other way and saw a message hawk in the distance. "Look." She said and she stood up. She walked to the bird and grabbed the little paper. "It is from the Fire Nation governor, Mai's father."  Mia said and she started to read out loud, well... A summary of it. "He says that we have kidnapped his son. He wants to make a trade. His son for King Bumi." 

The next morning Aang decided to bring the baby back. "You are walking straight into a trap... Do you realize that?" Mia asked him. "I don't think so," Aang said, "I think the governor wants his son back as much as we want Bumi. It is a new day, I feel that we are doing the right thing." And so, they went to Omashu. The four waited with the baby in front of the statue of Ozai, that was almost finished. Mai walked up to from the other side, followed by Ty Lee and Azula. Mia raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms over her chest. King Bumo got hoisted down by a rope. He was caught in a huge metal cage and only his face was visible. "Hello there! What a nice day isn't it?" The King yelled. Aang smiled. 

"We are here now," Aang started, "the baby for King Bumi." Mai walked up to them, but Azula stopped her. "Can I say something?" Azula asked and she looked at Aang, "we are trading a two year old for a king. A powerful earthbending King," Bumi nodded in agreement, "I am sorry but that doesn't seem like a fair trade to me." Azula smiled innocent, so innocent it almost looked real. Mai nodded. "You are right Azula, the deal is off." Mai said and Bumi got hoisted up. "Well, see you later!" Bumi yelled and he snorred loudly while he laughed. 
"Bumi!" Aang yelled and he ran up to Azula. Azula shot her blue fire at Aang and Aang jumped up. "The Avatar!" Azula yelled amazed, "this is my lucky day."  And Azula jumped up and crawled up the statue like a lizzard. 

"We need to get the baby out of here!" Sokka yelled while holding the two year old. Katara went to Mai, ready to attack. "SHE IS MINE!" Mia yelled and with a battle cry she ran over to Mai and started to fight. Aang succeeded to cut the chain and slide down the city, followed by Azula. Mia called Appa and during that time  Katara took care of Ty Lee and Mai. She froze Mai's arm, but got paralized by Ty Lee. Mia used her earthbending and swept the two girls away. Sokka was already with Appa, and Katara and Mia climbed in the sled. 

When they flew over the city, they saw Aang. "There he is!" Mia yelled and pointed down. After a minutes, Aang got rid of Azula. They lost Aang for a moment, but they found him all alone. "Where is Bumi?" Katara asked. "He won't come with us. He has to stay here for a while. We need to be patient." Aang replied. Mia looked to the baby and she sighed. "We need to return him to his parents, they must be worried." Mia mumbled. 

Aang nodded. "I will be back, I will return him." Aang grabbed the baby carefully and he went on. When Aang returned Mia had made some dumplings and tea. When they were eating, Katara asked Aang a serious question, that everyone was actually wondering. "Where will we find you an earthbending teacher? Who will it be?" Aang ate the last piece of his dumpling before he replied. "I have to find someone who waits and listens before he strikes." Mia nodded in agreement, "I have heard those are the best." She said with her mouthful. "Yes but... it will be hard to find someone like that." Aang said slowly. "I will never find someone like that, this is hopeless." He yelled and he laid down on his back. Katara and Mia looked at eachother. 

"I am sure you'll succeed, Aang. And we are here to help you." Mia said.
"Till the end?" He asked.
"Till the very end." Mia said and she hugged him.